What is the Maximum Weight of a Concrete Block Underwater?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the maximum weight of a concrete block that can be carried underwater, given its density and the density of water. Two approaches are suggested and the final answer is determined to be 45.8333... kg, with a more elegant formula also presented.
Delhi
Hello, I would like to ask if my calculations are correct and which approach I should use if the answer is correct (I apologize if my calculations look ugly, just joined this forum).

Homework Statement

On land, the maximum weight of a concrete block you can carry is 25kg. How massive block could you carry underwater, if the density of concrete is 2200kg/m³?

pwater = 1000 kg/m³
pconcrete = 2200 kg/m³
m1 = 25 kg
m2 = ?

G = mg
g = 9,81 m/s²

Homework Equations

Archimedes' Principle

Fapplied - G + Fbuoyancy = 0
G - Fbuoyancy

The Attempt at a Solution

Approach 1:

Fapplied - G + Fbuoyancy = 0 ->
m1g - m2g + m2pwaterg / pconcrete = 0

And I come to this:

m2 = -m1 / ( (pwater/pconcrete) - 1 )

m2 = 45,8333... kg

Approach 2:

On land I need (F= mg) 245,25 N to carry the concrete block

G - Fbouyancy = 245,25 N
m2g - m2g(pwater / pconcrete) = 245,25N
m2g(1 - pwater / pconcrete) = 245,25 N
m2 = 245,25N / g(1 - pwater / pconcrete)

m2 = 45,8333... kg

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say it's correct.

In a more "elegant" form:

[tex]m' = m\frac{\rho_{conc}}{\rho_{conc}-\rho_{water}}[/tex]

Quinzio said:
I'd say it's correct.

In a more "elegant" form:

[tex]m' = m\frac{\rho_{conc}}{\rho_{conc}-\rho_{water}}[/tex]
Yes that looks elegant. This might sound like a stupid question but from which formula do you get two [tex]\rho_{conc}[/tex] ?

What is maximum weight underwater?

Maximum weight underwater refers to the maximum amount of weight that an object can support or carry while submerged in water. This weight is affected by factors such as buoyancy, water density, and the object's shape and size.

How is maximum weight underwater calculated?

The calculation of maximum weight underwater involves taking into account the object's volume, density, and the density of water. The formula used is maximum weight = (volume of object x density of water) / (1 - density of object).

What are some examples of objects with maximum weight underwater?

Objects with maximum weight underwater include boats, submarines, divers, and underwater structures such as oil rigs. These objects are designed to withstand the pressure and weight of water while maintaining their stability and functionality.

How does maximum weight underwater affect diving and marine exploration?

Maximum weight underwater plays a crucial role in diving and marine exploration. It determines the depth that divers can safely reach, as well as the weight of equipment and supplies that can be carried. It also affects the design and capabilities of underwater vehicles and equipment used for marine research and exploration.

Can maximum weight underwater be increased or decreased?

Maximum weight underwater can be increased or decreased by altering the shape and size of the object, changing its density, or by using additional buoyancy devices. However, these modifications must be carefully calculated and tested to ensure the safety and functionality of the object in underwater environments.