(SOLVED) Space Shuttle launches a satellite

In summary, the space shuttle ejects a 890-kg satellite from its cargo bay, giving it a velocity of 0.20 m/s in the z-direction relative to the shuttle. The mass of the shuttle is 9.5×10^4kg. To determine the component of velocity in the minus z-direction, the equation m1v(f)1=m2v(f)2+ m1v(i)1 is used, resulting in a velocity of 0.02 m/s in the minus z-direction for the shuttle. To find the average force exerted by the shuttle on the satellite during ejection, the equation F=MA is used, giving a force of approximately 17.4 N.
pinkybear

Homework Statement

The space shuttle launches an 890-kg satellite by ejecting it from the cargo bay. The ejection mechanism is activated and is in contact with the satellite for 3.0 seconds to give it a velocity of 0.20 m/s in the z-direction relative to the shuttle. The mass of the shuttle is 9.5×10^4kg.

Determine the component of velocity of the shuttle in the minus z-direction resulting from the ejection.

Find the average force that the shuttle exerts on the satellite during the ejection.

Homework Equations

m1v1 = m1v2 + m2v3
(1/2)mv*2 = (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)mv^2
W=FD=KE

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start.. i can get the acceleration of the satellite i guess using the v=v(0)+at..since I have the mass of the satellite using f=MA..then the force of the satellite (right?) but how do I get the shuttle velocity?
I don't know what the z direction is or vf of the shuttle? is it the opposite of the satellite because it is pushing against it? I'm not sure..

oh nevermind, I got it =D that was right ^ and for the velocity of the shuttle I used the 1st equation: m1v(f)1=m2v(f)2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
+ m1v(i)1v(f)1 = (m2v(f)2 + m1v(i)1)/m1 = (890*0.20 + 9.5*10^4*0)/(9.5*10^4) = 0.02 m/s in the minus z direction

1. How does a space shuttle launch a satellite?

A space shuttle launches a satellite by first transporting it into orbit on its external fuel tank and solid rocket boosters. Once in orbit, the satellite is released and its own rockets are used to position it in its desired location.

2. How long does it take for a space shuttle to launch a satellite?

The entire process, from launch to satellite deployment, typically takes around 8-12 minutes.

3. How much does it cost to launch a satellite with a space shuttle?

The cost of launching a satellite with a space shuttle can vary greatly depending on the size and weight of the satellite, as well as the specific mission requirements. On average, it can cost anywhere from $50 million to $500 million.

4. Can a space shuttle launch multiple satellites at once?

Yes, a space shuttle can launch multiple satellites at once, depending on their size and weight. For example, the space shuttle Discovery once launched 3 satellites in a single mission.

5. What type of satellite can a space shuttle launch?

A space shuttle can launch a variety of satellites, including communication, weather, navigation, and scientific research satellites. The specific capabilities of the space shuttle determine the size, weight, and type of satellites it can launch.