Particle in a box: commuting energy and momentum operators

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the energy operator and momentum operator in an infinitely deep box. It is noted that the operators commute and have a common set of eigenfunctions, but there is confusion regarding the eigenfunctions of the two operators. A hint is given to consider functions like e^{-ikx}, and it is explained that the operators being commuting does not guarantee identical eigenfunctions. It is also clarified that the operator being discussed is the Hamiltonian, not the energy operator. The conversation concludes by mentioning the time-dependent Schrödinger equation.
mel11
Hi,
I've been thinking about the following:
In an infinitely deep box a particle's energy operator can be written as E = p^2/2m, and the momentum operator as p = -i hbar dx. (particle moves in x direction)
I can see that the commutator of E and p is 0, so the operators commute, and should have a common set of eigenfunctions. But e.g. A sin(kx) with some A and k is an eigenfunction of E but not of p. I don't get where I'm going wrong.
Thanks for any answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
mel11 said:
[...] A sin(kx) with some A and k is an eigenfunction of E but not of p.
I don't get where I'm going wrong.

Try thinking instead about functions like [itex]e^{-ikx}[/itex] ... :-)

[Edit: Hmm, I suppose I should give a better hint. Think about
both sin(kx) and cos(kx). Do they have the same energy eigenvalue?
If so, you have a degenerate case, so the eigenfunctions of one
operator are in general a linear combination of the (degenerate)
eigenfunctions of the other.]

Last edited:
Right. Commuting operators doesn't guarantee that all eigen states are the same. Only that there is a set of common eigen states.

And just for clarity, that isn't the energy operator. It's a Hamiltonian operator. Energy operator involves a time derivative.

[tex]H = \frac{p^2}{2m} + V(x)[/tex]

[tex]E = i \hbar \frac{d}{dt}[/tex]

With time-dependent Shroedinger Equation

[tex]H\Psi = E\Psi[/tex]

1. What is a "particle in a box"?

A "particle in a box" is a theoretical model that is used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle confined within a limited space, such as a one-dimensional box. It is a simplified system that allows for the investigation of fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics, such as energy and momentum operators.

2. What are commuting energy and momentum operators?

Commuting energy and momentum operators are mathematical operators that describe the energy and momentum of a particle in a quantum system. They are said to "commute" because they can be applied in any order without affecting the outcome, unlike non-commuting operators which can produce different results depending on the order in which they are applied.

3. How do commuting energy and momentum operators relate to a "particle in a box"?

In a "particle in a box" system, the energy and momentum operators commute because the particle is confined within a limited space and cannot interact with anything outside of the box. This allows for the application of these operators in any order without affecting the outcome, making calculations and predictions easier.

4. What is the significance of commuting energy and momentum operators?

The significance of commuting energy and momentum operators lies in their ability to simplify calculations and predictions in quantum systems, particularly in the case of a "particle in a box". They also demonstrate the concept of observables in quantum mechanics, where operators that commute with each other can be simultaneously measured with a high degree of precision.

5. Are commuting energy and momentum operators relevant in other systems besides a "particle in a box"?

Yes, commuting energy and momentum operators are relevant in other quantum systems as well. They are a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and are applicable in various scenarios, such as in the study of atoms and molecules. However, the exact form and behavior of these operators may differ depending on the specific system being studied.