Random General Relativity conceptual questions

In summary: However, I cannot guarantee that this will be the case, as there are a number of assumptions that are made in the calculation.
coopre
So I want to know if these are true or false, if false why are they

A geodesic is a path between two points in spacetime that maximizes the invariant
distance ds2.

A massive particle's rest mass increases with velocity.

If I re a laser beam in the general direction of a black hole, there is no way I
will get hit by any of the light from my laser.

A 4-vector can be both perpendicular and parallel to itself.

For a massive particle with angular momentum L orbiting a point mass, the
corrections dues to general relativity always make the radius of a stable circular
orbit (assuming it exists) smaller than it would be in Newtonian gravity.

Physics news on Phys.org
coopre said:
A geodesic is a path between two points in spacetime that maximizes the invariant distance ds2.
Technically it extremizes it. Whether the extremum is a maximum or a minimum depends on your sign convention (+--- vs -+++) and whether the geodesic is timelike or spacelike.

coopre said:
A massive particle's rest mass increases with velocity.
No, the rest mass is an invariant quantity and is the same in all frames regardless of the velocity in that frame.

coopre said:
If I re a laser beam in the general direction of a black hole, there is no way I will get hit by any of the light from my laser.
Depends where you and the laser and the black hole are positioned relative to each other.

coopre said:
A 4-vector can be both perpendicular and parallel to itself.
How do you figure this?

coopre said:
corrections dues to general relativity always make the radius of a stable circular

Relativity can't always predict the effects of angular momentum correctly. The underlying Riemannian geometry just does not handle spin-orbit coupling. Check out Einstein-Cartan Theory for an (hypothetical) extension of Relativity and Riemannian Geometry.

coopre said:
If I re a laser beam in the general direction of a black hole, there is no way I
will get hit by any of the light from my laser.

It is possible for the laser beam to bend round the back of the black hole and come back at you. In extreme circumstances the photons can circumnavigate the black hole several times before coming back at you.

coopre said:

If you can confirm that you are talking about a test particle orbiting a massive body such as a large black hole (and not an elementary particle such as an electron orbiting a nucleus) then I may be able to point you to the equations to resolve this question.

What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It explains how the force of gravity arises from the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. It is the current accepted theory for understanding gravity and has been extensively tested and confirmed by experiments.

How does general relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

General relativity differs from Newton's theory of gravity in several ways. Firstly, in general relativity, gravity is not seen as a force between masses, but rather as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. Secondly, general relativity predicts that the path of an object in a gravitational field is affected by the curvature of spacetime, whereas Newton's theory predicts that the path is solely determined by the force of gravity. Additionally, general relativity can explain phenomena that Newton's theory cannot, such as the bending of light by massive objects and the existence of black holes.

What is the concept of spacetime in general relativity?

In general relativity, spacetime is a four-dimensional continuum that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. It is not considered as a static framework, but rather as a dynamic entity that can be curved and distorted by the presence of mass and energy. The concept of spacetime is essential in understanding how gravity works in general relativity.

What is the role of the gravitational field in general relativity?

In general relativity, the gravitational field is not a separate entity but is instead a manifestation of the curvature of spacetime. The presence of mass and energy causes spacetime to curve, and this curvature determines how objects move in the gravitational field. The strength of the gravitational field is directly related to the amount of mass and energy present in a given region of spacetime.

Can general relativity be reconciled with quantum mechanics?

Currently, there is no complete theory that can reconcile general relativity with quantum mechanics. However, efforts are being made to develop a theory of quantum gravity that can explain the behavior of gravity on a microscopic scale. Some theories, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity, attempt to merge the two theories, but a definitive solution has yet to be found.