How can I expand sin(x + y) + sin(x - y) to get 2sinxcosy?

In summary, the conversation is about proving two trigonometric identities: -sin^2x-sin^2y+1=cos(x+y)cos(x-y) and sin(x+y)+sin(x-y)=2sinxcosx. The equations and solution attempts are also mentioned, with the suggestion to use the Pythagorean identity for the first equation. The second identity is confirmed to be possible to solve by expanding using the sum and difference identities for sine.
bubblygum
Proving trig identities

I have 2 more this time, thanks for the time!

Homework Statement

[tex]-sin^2x-sin^2y+1=cos(x+y)cos(x-y)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Compound, double, pythagorean, reciprocal, quaotient, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

R.H.S.
cos(x+y)cos(x-y)
= (cosxcosy-sinxsiny)(cosxcosy+sinxsiny)
= cos^2xcos^2y - sin^2xsin^2y

Not sure how to finish this off. Or have I started it off wrong?

Homework Statement

sin(x+y)+sin(x-y)=2sinxcosx

Homework Equations

Same as above

The Attempt at a Solution

L.H.S.
sin(x+y)+sin(x-y)
= sinxcosy+sinycosx + sinxcosy-sinycosx
= sinxcosy+sinxcosy
= 2sinxcosy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider using the Pythagorean identity on what you have come up with so far.

Great, solved it thanks.
Is the second one even possible?

bubblygum said:
Is the second one even possible?

Yes, just expand sin(x + y) + sin(x - y) using the sum and difference identities for sine and you'll get it.

1. What are some common strategies for proving trig identities?

Some common strategies for proving trig identities include: using the fundamental trig identities, simplifying both sides of the equation, using algebraic manipulation techniques such as factoring and combining like terms, and substituting in values for variables.

2. How do I know if a trig identity is true?

To determine if a trig identity is true, you can substitute in values for the variables and see if both sides of the equation result in the same value. You can also use algebraic manipulation techniques to simplify both sides and see if they are equivalent.

3. What are the most important trig identities to know?

The most important trig identities to know are the fundamental identities, such as the Pythagorean identities, reciprocal identities, and quotient identities. These identities form the basis for more complex trigonometric identities and are essential for proving them.

4. How can I practice proving trig identities?

You can practice proving trig identities by working through practice problems or using online resources that provide step-by-step solutions. You can also create your own trig identities to prove and check your work with a calculator or by substituting in values for the variables.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving trig identities?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving trig identities include: forgetting to distribute negative signs, making algebraic errors, not using the correct fundamental identities, and not simplifying both sides of the equation enough. It is important to double check your work and carefully follow each step to avoid these mistakes.