2d Schrodinger equation - numerical solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a simulation using Python and solving PDEs numerically. The equation used in the simulation requires two previous steps to calculate a new one, and the initial conditions must fill the first two steps. The conversation also mentions using a moving Gaussian as an example and provides a link for further reference. The equation mentioned in the link is similar to the one being used in the simulation. The state of the simulation is completely specified by the wave function at one instant in time, and a moving Gaussian has a wave function that includes both shape and momentum terms. There is a question about the use of \Psi^{l-1}_{i,j} instead of \Psi^{l}_{i,j}.
diegzumillo
Hi there,

I was expecting to find a "simulations forums" somewhere here, if there is a better place for this thread please let me know :)

OK, here's the problem: I'm trying to make a simulation with PYthon, at first with a square potential, for simpler potential/boundary conditions. But I'm new on this numerical stuff, so I'm studying about solving PDEs numerically and all, and this is the equation I have arrived:
(with the indices i,j and l associated with x,y and t respectively)
[tex]\Psi^{l+1}_{i,j}=\frac{i\Delta t \hbar}{m (\Delta x)^2}(\Psi^{l}_{i+1,j}+\Psi^{l}_{i-1,j}+\Psi^{l}_{i,j+1}+\Psi^{l}_{i,j-1}-4\Psi^{l}_{i,j})+\Psi^{l-1}_{i,j}+\frac{2\Delta t}{i\hbar}V^{l}_{i,j}\Psi^{l}_{i,j}[/tex]
(it may not visualize correctly)

From this equation I see that it needs two previous steps to calculate a new one. So my initial conditions must fill the first two steps? Is this how I create a moving Gaussian, for example? by making the first two steps gaussians with a displacement between them? I'm a little lost here :P

Physics news on Phys.org
please take this link
http://www.chemistry.emory.edu/faculty/bowman/old_classes/chem430sp99/num%20sol/NUM%20SOL.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm on the right track, his discrete equation is just like mine.

A state is completely specified by the wave function at one instant in time. A moving gaussian has a wave function like exp(-(x^2+y^2)/(2*w^2))*exp(i(ax+by)). The first term gives the shape; the second term gives the momentum.

Can I ask why you have a [tex]\Psi^{l-1}_{i,j}[/tex] instead of [tex]\Psi^{l}_{i,j}[/tex] ?

What is the 2D Schrodinger equation?

The 2D Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles in two-dimensional systems. It combines the concepts of quantum mechanics and the wave equation to predict the probability of finding a particle at a certain position in space.

Why is it important to find numerical solutions for the 2D Schrodinger equation?

Finding numerical solutions for the 2D Schrodinger equation allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum particles in various systems. This is crucial for advancing our understanding of quantum mechanics and for developing new technologies based on quantum principles.

How do scientists solve the 2D Schrodinger equation numerically?

There are various methods for solving the 2D Schrodinger equation numerically, including finite element methods, finite difference methods, and spectral methods. These methods involve discretizing the equation and using numerical algorithms to solve for the wave function at each point in space.

What are some challenges in finding numerical solutions for the 2D Schrodinger equation?

One of the main challenges is accurately representing the potential energy landscape in the system being studied. This requires precise knowledge of the system's geometry and properties, which can be difficult to obtain. Additionally, the computational resources and time needed to solve the equation can be significant for complex systems.

What are some applications of numerical solutions for the 2D Schrodinger equation?

Numerical solutions of the 2D Schrodinger equation have a wide range of applications, including in materials science, quantum computing, and chemical reactions. They can also be used to study electron behavior in two-dimensional electronic devices, such as graphene and other 2D materials.