Max Range Lab: Solving the Units Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum range and angle for a lab report using a range equation with variables of initial velocity, theta, gravity, and height. The issue arises with units not matching up, even after eliminating the height variable. The suggested solution is to bring the term V0 cosθ inside the radical, resulting in a larger calculated range.
haxtor21

Homework Statement

I am doing a lab report where I have to find a maximum range and at what angle it occurs. For the range equation I am using a range equation with the initial velocity, theta, g and h as variables. There clearly is a problem since my units do not match up, and I can't find what it is. h has to be zero since the projectile was shot at h=0. Eliminating h still doesn't solve the units problem, but the answer does conform more with my data, but still is 20% off.

Homework Equations

V0=4 m/s
theta=45 deg.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2074/gedc0204a.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9617/gedc0205.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you bring the term V0 cosθ inside the radical, and it becomes V02 cos2θ, the first term in the radical should be
V02 cos2θ * V02 sin2θ
= V04 sin2θ cos2θ​
and then the units agree. (And transform to sin22θ as appropriate, of course.)

This will make your calculated R larger.

1. What is the purpose of the Max Range Lab?

The purpose of the Max Range Lab is to solve the units problem, which is a common issue in scientific research and engineering. The lab focuses on developing a method to convert units accurately and efficiently.

2. Who can benefit from the Max Range Lab?

Anyone who works with units in their scientific or engineering research can benefit from the Max Range Lab. This includes scientists, engineers, and students.

3. How does the Max Range Lab solve the units problem?

The Max Range Lab uses mathematical calculations and algorithms to convert units accurately. It also provides a step-by-step guide to help users understand and apply the conversion process.

4. What is the main challenge of solving the units problem?

The main challenge of solving the units problem is the complexity and diversity of units used in different scientific fields and industries. The Max Range Lab addresses this challenge by providing a comprehensive approach to unit conversion.

5. Is the Max Range Lab user-friendly?

Yes, the Max Range Lab is designed to be user-friendly, with a simple and intuitive interface. It also provides clear instructions and examples to help users understand and use the conversion method effectively.