Finding the radius of convergence and interval of convergence

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the ratio test to determine the radius of convergence and the starting point of a summation. It is explained that the starting point of a summation can vary but is typically chosen to avoid division by zero. The conversation also touches on the difference between Maclaurin and Taylor series and the application of the ratio test to find the interval and radius of convergence.
Sinister

Homework Statement

capture3.png
This is the question of mine that I'm having a little confusion about. I know the whole process in which you use the ratio test to determine the radius of convergence and using that you test the end points of the summation to see if they converge at the end points aswell.

However, I'm what I'm confused about is how to determine when to start the summation at 0 and what exactly does it mean when the summation starts at for example, 2.

I'm asking this because in the textbook that we are using for this course, sometimes they use the summation starting at 1 and sometimes starting at 0.

So how do we determine the the answer to the above question and if someone can just explain to me when to start the summation at a different number other than 0.

Homework Equations

Ratio test eqn. lim n->infinity |An+1/An|

The Attempt at a Solution

Took the limit and factored the absolute value of x however the summation starting at 2 is confusing me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have ln n in the denominator, n must be > 0 for its ln to be defined. Also, ln 1 = 0, so n must be > 1 so that you don't get division by zero. That's why the summation starts at n = 2. This changes nothing when you use the ratio test.

The first term in your series is
[tex]\frac{(-1)^2~x^2}{4^2 ln(2)}[/tex]

Okay, thank you for that explination,
However, in the solutions they also put (x-2)^n instead of (x)^n
Any explination for that?

Sinister said:
Okay, thank you for that explination,
However, in the solutions they also put (x-2)^n instead of (x)^n
Any explination for that?
None that I can think of. The power series you showed in the image is a Maclaurin series, a series in powers of x.

This is what I was referring to..
Capture4.png

Well, that's different from what you posted in the first image. This is a Taylor series in powers of (x - 2). For this series to converge, |x - 2| < 4.

Yeah okay now I understand, so now we apply the ratio test and find the interval of convergence and the radius of convergence, correct?

Yes.

1. What is the radius of convergence and how is it determined?

The radius of convergence is a value that indicates the distance from the center of a power series where the series will converge. It is determined by using the ratio test, where the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series is taken as the number of terms approaches infinity. If this limit is less than 1, the series will converge and the radius of convergence is equal to the reciprocal of this limit.

2. What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is important because it tells us the range of values for which the power series will converge. This allows us to determine the interval of convergence, which is the range of x values for which the series will converge.

3. How is the interval of convergence determined?

The interval of convergence is determined by using the radius of convergence and the endpoints of the interval. If the radius of convergence is greater than 0, the interval of convergence will be centered at the center of the power series and have a length of 2 times the radius. If the radius of convergence is 0, the interval of convergence will be a single point at the center. If the radius of convergence is infinite, the interval of convergence will be the entire real number line.

4. Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence must be a positive value. This is because the ratio test only works for positive values and the radius of convergence is determined by the reciprocal of the limit of the ratio test.

5. What happens if the radius of convergence is 0?

If the radius of convergence is 0, the series will not converge for any value of x except for the center of the power series. This means that the interval of convergence will be a single point at the center and the series will diverge for all other values of x.