Explore Manhattanhenge – the Manhattan Solstice

In summary, Manhattanhenge is a semiannual event where the setting sun aligns with the east-west streets of Manhattan, named after Stonehenge. Popularized by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, it occurs on the gridded streets laid out in a 29.0 degree offset from true east-west. This alignment allows for a stunning view of the sunset over New Jersey from the centerline of these streets. While there may not be any practical uses for this event, it is a popular phenomenon to observe and can potentially inspire science projects.
Ironside
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattanhenge

"Manhattanhenge – sometimes referred to as the Manhattan Solstice – is a semiannual occurrence in which the setting sun aligns with the east–west streets of the main street grid in the borough of Manhattan in New York City. The term is derived from Stonehenge, at which the sun aligns with the stones on the solstices. It was popularized in 2002 by Neil deGrasse Tyson, an astrophysicist at the American Museum of Natural History. It applies to those streets that follow the Commissioners' Plan of 1811, which are laid out in a grid offset 29.0 degrees from true east–west. (The 29.0 degrees should be added to true east and west, making the western bearing approximately 299.0 degrees.) During Manhattanhenge, an observer on one of the gridded east-west streets will see the sun setting over New Jersey directly opposite from the street, along its centerline."

So I was reading through this, and I was thinking, is there any practical uses of this information? Or is it just something nice to look at? I want to do some sort of summer science project for fun, something that's sun-related. I live in NY and I came across this, but can this information be of any use?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

It's just nice to look at.

Ironside said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattanhenge

"Manhattanhenge – sometimes referred to as the Manhattan Solstice – is a semiannual occurrence in which the setting sun aligns with the east–west streets of the main street grid in the borough of Manhattan in New York City. The term is derived from Stonehenge, at which the sun aligns with the stones on the solstices. It was popularized in 2002 by Neil deGrasse Tyson, an astrophysicist at the American Museum of Natural History. It applies to those streets that follow the Commissioners' Plan of 1811, which are laid out in a grid offset 29.0 degrees from true east–west. (The 29.0 degrees should be added to true east and west, making the western bearing approximately 299.0 degrees.) During Manhattanhenge, an observer on one of the gridded east-west streets will see the sun setting over New Jersey directly opposite from the street, along its centerline."

So I was reading through this, and I was thinking, is there any practical uses of this information? Or is it just something nice to look at? I want to do some sort of summer science project for fun, something that's sun-related. I live in NY and I came across this, but can this information be of any use?

The effect causes the silver alligators to emerge from the sewer system and devour people. It's hushed up because it might crash the stock market and cause a depression.

Oh, now you've done it!

I find this phenomenon fascinating and there are definitely practical uses for it. Firstly, Manhattanhenge is a great opportunity for scientists and photographers to observe and document the alignment of the sun with the city's grid system. This can provide valuable data for studying the Earth's rotation and the position of the sun in relation to our planet. It also serves as a reminder of the changing seasons and the tilt of the Earth's axis.

In addition, this event can also be used for practical purposes such as urban planning and architecture. The alignment of the sun with the streets can be taken into consideration when designing buildings and structures, as it can provide natural lighting and energy efficiency. This can also be used for sustainable city planning and reducing energy consumption.

Furthermore, Manhattanhenge can also be used as an educational tool for students to learn about astronomy, geometry, and the history of the city's grid system. It can also spark interest and curiosity in young minds and inspire them to pursue careers in science and engineering.

In conclusion, while Manhattanhenge may seem like a beautiful and interesting phenomenon, there are definitely practical uses for it in various fields of study. I encourage you to explore and learn more about this event and its significance in our world. Who knows, you may even come up with your own unique and innovative ideas for utilizing this natural occurrence.

1. What is Manhattanhenge?

Manhattanhenge is a rare event that occurs twice a year when the setting sun aligns perfectly with the east-west streets of Manhattan, creating a stunning visual phenomenon.

2. When does Manhattanhenge occur?

Manhattanhenge occurs around May 28th and July 12th every year, although the exact date may vary slightly due to the changing position of the sun.

3. Why is it called Manhattanhenge?

The term "Manhattanhenge" was coined by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, referencing Stonehenge in England where the sun aligns with the stones on the summer solstice. The term also pays tribute to the borough of Manhattan where the event takes place.

4. How can I best view Manhattanhenge?

The best place to view Manhattanhenge is on the east-west streets of Manhattan, such as 14th, 34th, or 42nd Street. It is recommended to arrive at least 30 minutes before the sunset to secure a good viewing spot.

5. Is Manhattanhenge a unique phenomenon?

While Manhattanhenge is a unique event specific to New York City, similar phenomena occur in other cities around the world such as Chicago, Toronto, and Paris. However, the alignment and visibility of the setting sun may vary depending on the city's layout and architecture.

Back