Solving Tricky Inequalities: Help with a Non-Factorable Numerator

In summary, the conversation is about solving a tricky homework question involving inequalities. The question is (x^2-4x+7)/(x^2+x-6) and the person is unsure how to solve it since they can't factor the numerator. They are given hints to rewrite the numerator as (x-2)^2+3 and to multiply both sides of the inequality by (x^2+x-6)^2. Eventually, they figure out the solution and thank everyone for their help.
J-Girl
Inequalities- tricky question!

hiii,
i was wondering if anybody knew how to help me with this one tricky homework question. i can do most of the inequaliies I've come across, but how do you solve an inequality if you can't factor it?
the question is: (x^2-4x+7)/(x^2+x-6)
i know that the denominator is easily factorable ((x+3)(x-2)) but the numerator isnt? help pleasezzz I've been stuck on this for ages!:(:(

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Rewrite (x^2-4x+7) to (x-2)^2+3. What can you say about this?

Ok so I'm guessing by inequalities you mean something like [tex]\frac{x^2-4x+7}{x^2+x-6}>1[/tex] for example?

Try multiplying both sides by [tex](x^2+x-6)^2[/tex] since you know this has to be a non-negative number, and don't expand! Use your knowledge of factorizing to solve it.

ohh sorry i didnt even put the rest of the question in! it was (x^2-4x+7)/(x^2+x-6)≤ 0
i just wasnt sure if i was allowed to automatically multiply by the denominator because i didnt know if it was positive or negative. if i rephrase it as (x-2)^2 + 3, i still can't cancel out any brackets because its not completely factored. sorry:( just haven't done maths in ages and i suck at it..

Can you tell when (x-2)^2+3 is positive and negative though? Notice the squared term.

oohhh i got it now!:) yay took ages tho lol but thanks every1:)

What are inequalities?

Inequalities refer to mathematical statements that compare two quantities or expressions. The symbols commonly used in inequalities are <, >, ≤, and ≥, which represent less than, greater than, less than or equal to, and greater than or equal to, respectively.

What is the difference between an equation and an inequality?

An equation is a mathematical statement where the values on both sides of the equals sign are equal. Inequalities, on the other hand, do not necessarily have equal values on both sides of the inequality symbol.

How do I solve inequalities?

To solve an inequality, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol. The same rules for solving equations apply, with the exception of multiplying or dividing by a negative number. In this case, the direction of the inequality symbol must be flipped.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving inequalities?

One common mistake is forgetting to flip the inequality symbol when multiplying or dividing by a negative number. Another mistake is not considering the order of operations, which can lead to incorrect solutions.

How are inequalities used in real life?

Inequalities are used to represent and solve real-life problems involving comparisons. For example, they can be used in budgeting to determine if a person has enough money to make a purchase, or in business to compare the profits of two companies.