Internal Energy & 1st Law of Thermodynamics: P vs V Graph?

In summary, internal energy is a variable of state and in ideal gases and perfect liquids, it is only a function of temperature. Therefore, if the same thermodynamic state is reached from a different trajectory, the change in internal energy will be zero.
jaidon
I have a question concerning internal energy and the First Law of Thermodynamics. If you plotted P vs V and the shape of the graph is an enclosed shape ie) square or triangle, would the total internal energy in one cycle be zero? (one cycle is for example-start at top left of square and finish at top left of square). I think this is right, but am a little uncertain being a Physics moron and all. I would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If anyone has any idea on this I would love to hear from you. This thought is what I have based several questions on, and if I am incorrect I need to figure out something else. Thanks.

Internal Energy is a variable of state. Given some thermodynamic trajectory, for instance from 1 to 2, the change of internal energy is given by:

[tex] \int_1^2 du=u_2-u_1[/tex]

Due to the fact in ideal gases and perfect liquids the internal energy is only a function of the temperature:

[tex] u=c_vT[/tex]

then if 1 is the same thermodynamic state than 2 the change of internal energy is zero, no matter which trajectory it was.

1. What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy of a system, including both its kinetic and potential energy. It is a measure of the microscopic energy of the particles that make up a system.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

3. How is internal energy related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is essentially a statement about the conservation of internal energy. In any thermodynamic process, the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

4. What is a P vs V graph?

A P vs V graph is a graph that plots the pressure (P) of a gas on the y-axis and the volume (V) of the gas on the x-axis. This type of graph is commonly used in thermodynamics to visualize the relationship between pressure and volume in a system.

5. How is the first law of thermodynamics represented on a P vs V graph?

The first law of thermodynamics can be represented on a P vs V graph by the area under the curve. The work done by the system is equal to the area under the curve, while the heat added to the system is represented by the change in the internal energy of the system.