Ansys 13.0 cable element LINK180

In summary, the person is trying to model a cable using Ansys 13.0 and wants to know how to set the element to "tension-only". The best element to use is LINK180, but the option to select a third real constant is not available. They are seeking help on how to set the element correctly.
fourniej
Hi,
I am trying to model a simple cable using Ansys 13.0. It seems like the best element to use is LINK180, because this element replaced previously available links from older program versions (such as LINK10 and LINK167). However, although the "help" says that the third real constant for this element can be set to "tension-only", I am not being given the option to select a third real constant. I don't know how else to get a "tension-only" element.

Can anyone tell me how to set this element to "tension-only"

Thank you so much for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
fourniej said:
Hi,
I am trying to model a simple cable using Ansys 13.0. It seems like the best element to use is LINK180, because this element replaced previously available links from older program versions (such as LINK10 and LINK167). However, although the "help" says that the third real constant for this element can be set to "tension-only", I am not being given the option to select a third real constant. I don't know how else to get a "tension-only" element.

Can anyone tell me how to set this element to "tension-only"

Thank you so much for your help.

rmod,_sid,2,0,1

1. What is the purpose of the "Ansys 13.0 cable element LINK180"?

The "Ansys 13.0 cable element LINK180" is a specialized element in the Ansys software that is used to model and analyze cables or other slender structures in three-dimensional space. It is particularly useful for simulating the behavior of flexible structures under various loading conditions.

2. What type of analysis can be performed using the "Ansys 13.0 cable element LINK180"?

The "Ansys 13.0 cable element LINK180" can be used for static, dynamic, and nonlinear analysis. It is particularly well-suited for problems involving large deformations and nonlinear material behavior.

3. How is the "Ansys 13.0 cable element LINK180" different from other finite element elements?

The "Ansys 13.0 cable element LINK180" is unique in that it is specifically designed to model slender structures, such as cables, ropes, or wires. It takes into account the effects of bending, stretching, and shear on the behavior of these structures, which may not be accurately captured by other types of finite elements.

4. What are the advantages of using the "Ansys 13.0 cable element LINK180" over other cable modeling methods?

The "Ansys 13.0 cable element LINK180" offers several advantages over other cable modeling methods. It allows for more accurate and detailed analysis of cable behavior, including the effects of tension, compression, and bending. It also provides a more efficient solution process, resulting in faster analysis times.

5. Can the "Ansys 13.0 cable element LINK180" be used for all types of cables?

The "Ansys 13.0 cable element LINK180" is designed to model a wide range of cables, including those made of steel, aluminum, or other materials. However, it may not be suitable for all types of cables, such as those with complex geometries or highly nonlinear behavior. It is important to consult the Ansys user manual and perform validation studies before using the cable element for a specific application.