Lithium-Polymer battery fire safety precautions

In summary: So basically you're just worried about something that wouldn't happen even if you did something incredibly dumb. Please do not use Li-Poly, for your own sake and perhaps those around you. There is no such thing as a "3S8P" pack, and if there were, that would be 88.8 Volts that you would be pushing out. Is this for some funny experiment where you are trying to see how quickly you can melt a laptop?? It os obvious that you are quite ignorant in this, which is why I'm asking you to not even consider it. Plus, you do not add more cells to increase run time, this increases
Villhelm
Hello,
I'm trying to learn about LiPo battery pack safety and was wondering if anyone could head me in the direction of some good sources of information.

In particular I'm trying to learn enough to safely re-build and extend a laptop's 6-cell (3S2P) pack, but hopefully to extend it to a higher number of cells (eg 3S8P) as the extended run time (8+ hours) away from mains power would be particularly convenient for me and, as I understand it, the increased pack parallelism would be easier on the cells and extend their life-time somewhat.

Cheers.

edit: If possible I'd like to solder the new cells into the existing battery pack circuitry.
Also, what about typical store stocked fireproof blankets?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Villhelm said:
Hello,
I'm trying to learn about LiPo battery pack safety and was wondering if anyone could head me in the direction of some good sources of information.

In particular I'm trying to learn enough to safely re-build and extend a laptop's 6-cell (3S2P) pack, but hopefully to extend it to a higher number of cells (eg 3S8P) as the extended run time (8+ hours) away from mains power would be particularly convenient for me and, as I understand it, the increased pack parallelism would be easier on the cells and extend their life-time somewhat.

Cheers.

edit: If possible I'd like to solder the new cells into the existing battery pack circuitry.
Also, what about typical store stocked fireproof blankets?

Please do not use Li-Poly, for your own sake and perhaps those around you.
There is no such thing as a "3S8P" pack, and if there were, that would be 88.8 Volts that you would be pushing out. Is this for some funny experiment where you are trying to see how quickly you can melt a laptop?? It os obvious that you are quite ignorant in this, which is why I'm asking you to not even consider it.

Plus, you do not add more cells to increase run time, this increases the Volts. To extend run time you run a pack with higher mAh. This is akin to having a larger fuel tank in your car, Volts increase the power. Furthermore, Li-Poly batteries are high capacity and high discharge. Most Li-poly packs today are 20C (current) and higher. Do you know what it means to pull that sort of current (Amps) at that voltage? Like I said, it will reduce your laptop to ashes.

These batteries are used in high powered RC models to run brushless motors as their high discharge abilities make them far superior over the alternate nitromethane powered 2-stroke engines. However, like you said, fire is a very likely risk. Discharge a Li-Poly cell bellow 3 Volts and you have caused irreparable damage. Do this a few more times and it is then just a matter of time before it is in a ball of fire (yes, not if, but when). Over-charge a cell and, again, irreparable damage. Not only that but all cells must be maintained accurately balanced at all times... fail to do this, and you can guess where this is heading, you have a ticking time bomb sitting in your home. It's just a matter of "when."

PS: Most laptops and cell phones use Lithium-ion, understandably so as it is much less unstable, not to mention that such devices do not need to pull 80+ amps. If your laptop does indeed use Li-Poly, just use an OEM battery. Do NOT play around.

Last edited:
Juval said:
... There is no such thing as a "3S8P" pack, and if there were, that would be 88.8 Volts that you would be pushing out. ...
3S8P = Three cells in series (11.1 volts nominal). I've read of eight-parallel packs, but I imagine balance charging might be difficult. More typically, I've seen large paralleled battery packs divided into sections for charging, such as 2P or 3P.

Outside of electric vehicle experimenters, the most active battery pack hackers are R/C and flashlight enthusiasts.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?9-Flashlight-Electronics-Batteries-Included
http://www.rcgroups.com/batteries-and-chargers-129/

Juval, you may want to learn about the subject yourself before you misread a post and lecture someone on neophytic errors they thought they'd made clear they were never going to make. LiPo packs exist, not least within the consumer electronics market, and it is clearly possible for their use to be at least as safe as many other daily activities.

My primary interest with this post was to start learning specifics about LiPo safety, not to happy-hack a portable bomb. Furthermore the "C" rating is, as I understand it, an intended maximal rating ascertained by the manufacturer regarding a possible current draw, battery packs are not constant-current sources and they, for example, will not push hundreds of Amp through anything excepting an effective short-circuit scenario.

To demonstrate; if we are to assume the C rating pushes current as you describe, even a single cell would be highly destructive as it too will push "20C" (or whatever the rating might be) through whatever it is connected to. This would be around 40Amp for a common 2Ah cell I've yet to hear tell of laptops being destroyed en masse by their ~5Ah battery packs discharging at the rate of ~200Amp through a non short-circuit load (i.e. a functioning laptop computer) as your interpretation of their behaviour could well entail. To me, that sounds far more ludicrous than even your misinterpretation of my post, not least because 88.8Volt from 24 cells is at least a physical possibility had I or anyone else been so inclined to hack together such a configuration.

Thanks for the links pantaz, I'll probably contact some folk over there and see what they say about it.

1. What is a Lithium-Polymer battery?

A Lithium-Polymer (LiPo) battery is a type of rechargeable battery that is commonly used in electronic devices such as smartphones, laptops, and drones. It is known for its high energy density and can provide a lot of power in a small and lightweight package.

2. Why are there concerns about LiPo battery fires?

LiPo batteries have a tendency to catch fire or explode if they are not handled properly. This is because they contain highly flammable electrolytes and can release a large amount of energy in a short period of time if they are damaged or overcharged.

3. What are some precautions to take when using LiPo batteries?

There are several precautions that can be taken to minimize the risk of a LiPo battery fire. These include using a proper charger and charging at the recommended voltage and current, avoiding overcharging or discharging the battery, and storing the battery in a fireproof container when not in use. It is also important to handle the battery carefully and avoid damaging it.

4. What should I do if a LiPo battery catches fire?

If a LiPo battery catches fire, it is important to act quickly. Move away from the battery and any flammable materials and use a fire extinguisher or sand to put out the fire. Do not use water, as it can react with the battery and make the fire worse. If the fire is too large to handle, evacuate the area and call the fire department.

5. Are there any alternatives to LiPo batteries that are safer?

Yes, there are alternative battery types such as Lithium-Ion or Nickel Metal Hydride that are considered safer than LiPo batteries. However, these batteries may not have the same level of energy density and may not be suitable for all electronic devices. It is important to research and choose the appropriate battery for your specific device and always follow proper safety precautions.