Inverse Trigonometric Problem Solve equation for x

In summary: You have an excellent chance of doing well on the exam, as long as you keep asking for help when you need it.In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation involving arctan and simplifying the solution. The final answer is x = 0.805. The student initially made a mistake by using degrees instead of radians, but was able to correct it and arrive at the correct solution. The expert encourages the student to continue seeking help when needed in order to do well on the exam.
chapsticks

Homework Statement

arctan(8x-8)=-1

Homework Equations

I'm sure what this part wants.

The Attempt at a Solution

tan[arctan(8x-8)]=tan(-1)
8x-8=tan(-1)
x=(1/8)(tan(-1)+8)
x=(1/8)(-(tan(1)+8)
x=

I am stuck on the last part since the homework says Simplify the above equation. (Round your answers to three decimal places.) and when I put in -2.186 its wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
chapsticks said:

Homework Statement

arctan(8x-8)=-1

Homework Equations

I'm sure what this part wants.

The Attempt at a Solution

tan[arctan(8x-8)]=tan(-1)
8x-8=tan(-1)
x=(1/8)(tan(-1)+8)
x=(1/8)(-(tan(1)+8)
x=

I am stuck on the last part since the homework says Simplify the above equation. (Round your answers to three decimal places.) and when I put in -2.186 its wrong.

Your working is right. I initially thought you were putting the calculator in degrees, but that's not it. You must be doing something else wrong to get that wrong value.

Anyway, put your calculator into radians (RAD) mode and work that out again. Pay attention to where all the brackets are, better still work out what 8 - tan(1) is first, then divide by 8.

I do not get (1/8)(-tan(1)+8) to be equal to -2.186. How did you get that? What's tan(1)?

sorry I just realized that it was for a different problem my answer for this was .805

chapsticks said:
sorry I just realized that it was for a different problem my answer for this was .805

Right answer.

1. What is an inverse trigonometric function?

An inverse trigonometric function is the opposite of a regular trigonometric function. It takes the output of a trigonometric function and returns the angle that would produce that output. In other words, it "undoes" the trigonometric function.

2. How do I solve an inverse trigonometric problem for x?

To solve an inverse trigonometric problem for x, you first need to identify which inverse trigonometric function is being used (such as sin^-1, cos^-1, or tan^-1). Then, you can use algebraic manipulation and inverse trigonometric identities to isolate x and solve for it.

3. Are there any restrictions when solving an inverse trigonometric problem for x?

Yes, there are some restrictions to keep in mind when solving an inverse trigonometric problem for x. These include the domain of the original trigonometric function (which may need to be restricted to make the inverse function one-to-one), and any limitations on the range of the inverse function (such as arcsin only outputting angles between -π/2 and π/2).

4. Can I use a calculator to solve an inverse trigonometric problem for x?

Yes, most scientific calculators have inverse trigonometric functions built in. However, it is important to make sure the calculator is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians) and to understand how to interpret the output (degrees or radians).

5. Why is it important to solve inverse trigonometric problems for x?

Solving inverse trigonometric problems for x allows us to find the angle measure that corresponds to a specific output of a trigonometric function. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as finding the angle of elevation or depression in navigation and engineering problems.