Copper & Silver Nitrate: Applying to Daily Life

The copper acts as a reducing agent, causing the silver ions to form solid silver. This process could be applied in daily life for purifying metals or creating silver objects.
bellabelle

Homework Statement

In my Chemistry lab, we made silver using copper and silver nitrate. We put a solution of silver nitrate, distilled water, and copper wire in a test tube and observed it. Then we took the copper out (the solution turned blue and the copper had crystals formed on it but we shook them off before removing the copper). We pour the solution through a funnel where the blue solution went through into a beaker and the silver that formed was caught on paper. I need to know how this could apply to daily life.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I know of an example where the grass would be copper, rain is the solution, and the dew which forms on the grass is the silver but I do not understand it. If you do and would like to explain it to me that would be great or if you have a different example, that would be great as well. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Sounds like a way to purify silver using copper wire.

1. How is copper used in daily life?

Copper is used in various ways in daily life, such as in electrical wiring, plumbing pipes, and cooking utensils. It is also commonly used in electronics, construction materials, and transportation equipment.

2. How is silver nitrate applied in daily life?

Silver nitrate is commonly used in photography and as an antiseptic in medical and cosmetic products. It is also used in the production of mirrors and silverware.

3. Is it safe to handle copper and silver nitrate in daily life?

Both copper and silver nitrate can be potentially hazardous if not handled properly. Copper can cause skin irritation and silver nitrate can cause burns and irritation. It is important to follow safety precautions when handling these substances.

4. How do copper and silver nitrate react with each other?

When copper is added to a solution of silver nitrate, a redox reaction occurs where the copper is oxidized and the silver nitrate is reduced. This forms a solid silver precipitate and a blue solution of copper nitrate.

5. Can copper and silver nitrate be recycled from daily life materials?

Yes, both copper and silver can be recycled from various materials in daily life such as electronics, jewelry, and silverware. This helps to reduce the need for mining and the environmental impact of extracting these metals from their natural sources.