The Electric Field Strength of a Proton Accelerated at 1 Million g

In summary, the electric field strength at a point in space where a proton experiences an acceleration of 1 million "g" is approximately 0.1 N/C. This can be calculated using the equation |\vec{E}|=\frac{m_{proton}|\vec{a}|}{q_{proton}}, where the mass and charge of the proton are taken into account.
joej
What is the electric field strength at a point in space where a proton experiences an acceleration of 1 million "g"?

I'm completely lost on this one I know it's bound to be something simple but I just can't figure out where to start with it, well other than that 1 million "g" should be 9.8x10^6 m/s^2

I'm also not quite sure, but I'm guessing this will have something to do with gravitational fields.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question seems to infer that the proton is accelerated by the electric field.

Think about the relationship of Force to the electric field strength and as a function of mass and acceleration.

[tex]\vec{F} = m\vec{a} = q\vec{E}[/tex]

okay, so I get...

ma = (1.64x10^-21)/(1.6x10^-19) = 0.01N/C

would that be right?

joej said:
okay, so I get...

ma = (1.64x10^-21)/(1.6x10^-19) = 0.01N/C

would that be right?

U missed one order of size:
[tex] |\vec{E}|=\frac{m_{proton}|\vec{a}|}{q_{proton}} [/tex]
[tex] |\vec{E}|=\frac{1.67\cdot 10^{-27}Kg\cdot 9.8\cdot 10^{6} ms^{-2}}{1.6\cdot 10^{-19}C}\sim 0,1N/C [/tex]

Daniel.

1. What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength is a measure of the intensity of an electric field at a specific point. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is electric field strength calculated?

Electric field strength is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the charge. Mathematically, it is represented as E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the magnitude of the charge.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric field strength?

The unit of measurement for electric field strength is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. In CGS units, it is measured in dynes per statcoulomb (dyn/cm).

4. How does electric field strength affect electric charges?

Electric field strength is directly proportional to the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. The stronger the electric field, the greater the force exerted on the charged particle.

5. What is the difference between electric field strength and electric potential?

Electric field strength and electric potential are related, but they are not the same. Electric field strength measures the force per unit charge, while electric potential measures the work done per unit charge. In other words, electric field strength is a measure of the intensity of the electric field, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field.