Choose Halliday & Resnick Physics Text | Advice & Reviews

In summary, the 3rd edition of Halliday, Resnick, and Krane Physics may be a better option than the current Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick and Halliday. The content is still relevant, and the older edition is easier to hold while reading.
IgnacioMagana
Hello, I am looking for advice on which version of Halliday and Resnick Physics to get. I am currently wondering if it would be wise to go for an early version of the text. I ask this because I've been self learning calculus from Calculus and Analytic Geometry by Thomas (Alternate ed, basically 4th) but before that I tried working with an Stewart text and completely hated the style and the lack of proofs. So in your opinion, what version of Halliday and Resnick I should get, the older the better, I hate the glossy textbook style of nowdays.

Physics news on Phys.org
I picked up copies of Volume 1 and Volume 2 of Physics by Resnick, Halliday, and Krane for $1 each. There are no glossy pictures (the entire text is in black, white, blue, and grey) and it's more thorough than the current Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick and Halliday. You'll notice its age in some of the problems and dates, but the content is still relevant.

I had the sixth edition of resnick,halliday and walker.It was good but I feel the 3rd edition was the best with many good questions now omitted and contained a bit of ''history" as well to create a background.

adiphysics said:
I had the sixth edition of resnick,halliday and walker.It was good but I feel the 3rd edition was the best with many good questions now omitted and contained a bit of ''history" as well to create a background.

The 3rd edition in two separate volumes may be more comfortable to hold while reading.

Here's Part 1:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471717169/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and Part 2:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471345296/?tag=pfamazon01-20

(The first pic is of an older edition. The 3rd ed. is green and yellow)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What makes Halliday & Resnick Physics Text a good choice for learning physics?

Halliday & Resnick Physics Text is a popular choice for learning physics because it presents the subject in a clear and organized manner. The text is well-written and easy to understand, making it accessible for students of all levels. It also includes a wide range of examples and practice problems to help reinforce concepts.

2. How does Halliday & Resnick Physics Text compare to other physics textbooks?

Halliday & Resnick Physics Text is often considered one of the best physics textbooks on the market. It covers all the necessary topics in a comprehensive and engaging way, and is known for its clear explanations and helpful diagrams. It is also frequently updated to include new developments in the field of physics.

3. Is Halliday & Resnick Physics Text suitable for self-study?

Yes, Halliday & Resnick Physics Text is a great resource for self-study. The text is well-structured and includes many practice problems and examples, making it easy for students to learn on their own. Additionally, there are online resources available, such as video tutorials and interactive quizzes, to supplement the text.

4. How does Halliday & Resnick Physics Text cover more advanced topics?

Halliday & Resnick Physics Text covers a wide range of topics, from basic principles to more advanced concepts. The text is well-organized and builds upon previous chapters, making it easy to understand and follow along with more complex topics. Additionally, it includes optional sections with more challenging problems for those seeking a deeper understanding of the subject.

5. Are there any downsides to using Halliday & Resnick Physics Text?

One potential downside of Halliday & Resnick Physics Text is its length and level of detail. The text is quite extensive and may be overwhelming for some students. Additionally, some may find the explanations too simplistic, while others may find them too complex. It's important for students to find a textbook that aligns with their learning style and level of understanding.