How does phase affect the Nyquist Diagram - imaginary axis, how should it look?

In summary, to construct a Nyquist diagram from a transfer function, it is important to break it down into its real and imaginary components to better understand the frequency and phase relationships.
thomas49th
Please consider

http://gyazo.com/e5c5b4f7808a63e7e664440259ac3058

I agree with all notes made on that slide, but I don't actually get how they constructed the diagram from that? I understand that they line represents frequency so going to 0 to infinity means the line would travel from -0.5 to 0, but HOW DO THEY KNOW what the size values the curve peak at on the imaginary axis?

Further, it says phase decreases from -180 to -270, I agree from the transfer function, but how does this look on the Nyquist diagram? How does phase affect the Nyquist diagram?

Thanks

EDIT: Apologies if this may seem like a double post

Physics news on Phys.org
thomas49th said:
Please consider

http://gyazo.com/e5c5b4f7808a63e7e664440259ac3058

I agree with all notes made on that slide, but I don't actually get how they constructed the diagram from that? I understand that they line represents frequency so going to 0 to infinity means the line would travel from -0.5 to 0, but HOW DO THEY KNOW what the size values the curve peak at on the imaginary axis?

Further, it says phase decreases from -180 to -270, I agree from the transfer function, but how does this look on the Nyquist diagram? How does phase affect the Nyquist diagram?

Thanks

EDIT: Apologies if this may seem like a double post

Perhaps you should consider reducing the given transfer function into real and imaginary components. So then:
[tex]\frac{1}{(jω + 1)(jω + 2)(jω - 1)} = \frac{-2}{(1 + ω^2)(4 + ω^2)} + j\frac{ω}{(1 + ω^2)(4 + ω^2)} [/tex]
This should help pick out any particular relationships or extrema of the real and imaginary components, as well as phase relationships since ##\phi = tan^{-1}(Im/Re)##.

1. How does the phase affect the Nyquist Diagram on the imaginary axis?

The phase of a system determines the angle at which the Nyquist plot crosses the imaginary axis. It is represented by the argument of the complex transfer function. A phase shift of 180 degrees corresponds to a half-circle rotation on the Nyquist plot.

2. What is the significance of the Nyquist plot crossing the imaginary axis?

When the Nyquist plot crosses the imaginary axis, it indicates that the system has a pole on the imaginary axis. This can result in oscillations or instability in the system.

3. How should the Nyquist Diagram look for a stable system?

A stable system will have a Nyquist plot that does not encircle the critical point (-1,0) on the complex plane. This means that the system will not exhibit oscillations or instability.

4. How does the phase margin affect the shape of the Nyquist Diagram?

The phase margin is the amount of phase that the system can tolerate before becoming unstable. A larger phase margin will result in a Nyquist plot that is further away from the critical point, indicating a more stable system.

5. Can the phase of a system be adjusted to improve the Nyquist Diagram?

Yes, the phase of a system can be adjusted by adding a phase lead or lag compensator to the system's transfer function. This can help to improve the stability of the system and shift the Nyquist plot away from the critical point on the complex plane.