Video editing software, recommendations?

In summary, the speaker has taken high-speed video footage for a project and recorded it onto VHS. They have used a TV tuner card to import the footage onto their computer and are now looking for software to chop it into smaller sections and extract still frames for their report. They have tried using Windows Movie Maker but it kept crashing, so they are open to recommendations for simpler software. One suggestion is Adobe Premiere.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello all,

I've taken some high-speed (~1000fps) video footage for a project I'm working on. I've recorded it all onto VHS, such that it can be played back at very slow speed through a normal VCR on a TV, so that I can analyse my experiment. In real-time there's only about 30 seconds of actual footage but this equates to about half an hour when played back on a normal TV.

Now I've used a TV tuner card to import my video onto my computer (it's now a nice big MPEG file), and I need some software to basically chop it up into small sections (seperate files) and 'grab' the occasional frame to use as pictures in my report.

Does anyone have any recommendation for software I can use? The simpler the better (ideally I'd just be using Windows Sound Recorder for this, but it doesn't do video!). I tried using Windows Movie Maker but it kept crashing, possibly because when I imported my MPEG it split it up into a few hundred short clips and the overall file size is almost 2Gb.

Thanks in advance!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Adobe Premiere.

Hi there,

For your specific needs, I would recommend checking out Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro. Both of these video editing software have the capability to import high-speed footage and allow for easy chopping and grabbing of frames. They are both professional-level software, so there may be a bit of a learning curve, but they are definitely more robust and reliable than Windows Movie Maker. Another option could be Sony Vegas Pro, which is also a popular choice for video editing. All three of these options are paid software, but they do offer free trials so you can test them out and see which one works best for you. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the best video editing software for beginners?

The best video editing software for beginners is typically one that is user-friendly and has a simple interface. Some popular options include iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, and Adobe Premiere Elements.

2. Which video editing software is best for professionals?

There are many video editing software options that are popular among professionals, such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, and Avid Media Composer. The best choice will ultimately depend on personal preference and the specific needs of the project.

3. Is there a free video editing software that is worth using?

Yes, there are several free video editing software options that are worth using, such as DaVinci Resolve, Lightworks, and Shotcut. These programs may have some limitations compared to paid software, but they can still offer robust editing capabilities.

4. Can I use video editing software on my phone or tablet?

Yes, there are many video editing apps available for both iOS and Android devices. Some popular options include iMovie, Adobe Premiere Rush, and FilmoraGo. These apps may have limited features compared to desktop software, but they can still be useful for making quick edits on-the-go.

5. What features should I look for in a video editing software?

Some important features to consider when choosing a video editing software include the ability to import and export various file formats, support for multiple tracks and layers, special effects and transitions, and audio editing capabilities. It's also important to consider the software's compatibility with your computer's operating system and hardware.