How to Calculate Torque of a Leaning Rigid Body

In summary, the distance is used to determine torque halfway up the ladder because gravity acts at the center of mass.
Bennigan88
So this is a conceptual question, it's not a direct homework question, but it does involve how to do a kind of calculation. I hope this isn't the wrong place to post a nonspecific question like this. In the case of a board/stick/ladder leaning against a wall, about an axis O at the bottom of the object where it is in contact with the ground, why is the distance used to determine torque (which is Force x Distance x sin θ) halfway up the ladder? Ladder is 15m long in my example.

I tried to use integration to calculate the torque, and this is what I ended up with:

[tex]
\tau = mg \times x \times \sin\theta = mgsin\theta \cdot x \\

d\tau = mg \sin\theta \cdot dx \\

\int d\tau = \int mgsin\theta dx \\

\int d\tau = mg \sin\theta \int dx \\ = mg \sin\theta \int_0^{15} dx \\

= mgsin\theta \cdot x |_0^{15} \\

= 15 \cdot mg \sin\theta[/tex]

So why is the scalar for distance 1/2 of the length rather than the entire length like my calculations? What am I missing? Thanks for any insight.

! The mass also changes, so I think I need a differential mass element... more thinking required :/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
why is the distance used to determine torque (which is Force x Distance x sin θ) halfway up the ladder?
Because gravity acts at the center of mass.

Or can I use a Riemann sum to calculate the torque? Assume the ladder is divided up into n pieces, and the mass of each piece is its linear density λ times the change in distance.

[tex]
\tau = x \cdot F \cdot \sin\theta \\
F = m \cdot g \\
m = \lambda \Delta x \\
\tau_i = x_i \cdot \lambda \Delta x \cdot g \cdot \sin\theta = \lambda g \sin\theta \cdot x_i \cdot \Delta x \\
\sum_i^n \lambda g \sin\theta \cdot x_i \cdot \Delta x \\
\lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_i^n \lambda g \sin\theta \cdot x_i \cdot \Delta x = \int_0^{15} \lambda g \sin\theta x dx\\
= \lambda g \sin\theta \cdot \int_0^{15} x dx = \lambda g \sin\theta \cdot \left[ \dfrac{1}{2}x^2 \right]_0^{15}
[/tex]

I don't see this moving towards a validation of the torque being calculated at the half-way point with mg acting on the center of gravity... can anyone nudge me in the right direction?

Simon Bridge said:
Because gravity acts at the center of mass.

I am aware of that, but shouldn't I end up finding the same torque using integration?

Well yes - and the integrated part will amount to finding the center of mass.
So your question amounts to: "how come I keep blowing the math?"

Bennigan88 said:
[tex]
\tau = mg \times x \times sin ^\theta = mgsin\theta \cdot x \\

d\tau = mgsin\theta \cdot dx \\
[/tex]
Not sure what the first equation is saying, but the second is wrong. The RHS is the mass of the element dx multiplied by g sin(θ). The distance is x sin(θ):
[tex]
d\tau = mgxsin\theta \cdot dx \\
[/tex]

* Actually I think you got it right in the reiman sum - the first integral was poorly set up which is why it didn't work.

Finish the calculation.
[tex]
g\lambda\sin(\theta)\int_0^L x.dx = g\lambda\sin(\theta)\cdot \frac{1}{2}x^2 \bigg |_0^L = \frac{g\lambda L^2}{2} \sin(\theta)
[/tex]
... which is what you want - because λL = m, the mass of the ladder.In the first derivation, you misidentified the elements - it should have gone from [itex]\tau = mgx\sin(\theta)[/itex] to [itex]d\tau = gx\sin(\theta)\cdot dm[/itex].
In the second derivation you lost confidence just before the payoff :)

Last edited:
You're right! I'm thrilled! I need to get better at recognizing things in the answers. This isn't the first time I've gotten something more or less right but didn't see it because I didn't make the connection. Thanks for seeing it through with me!:biggrin: Generalizing the 15 to L was I think the coup de grace that I was missing.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically represented by the symbol "τ" and is measured in units of newton-meters (N·m) in the SI system.

2. How do you calculate torque?

Torque can be calculated using the formula τ = r x F, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and F is the magnitude of the force. This formula is known as the cross product formula.

3. What is a leaning rigid body?

A leaning rigid body is an object that is supported at a single point but is not in a state of equilibrium. This means that the object is not perfectly balanced and has a tendency to rotate around the point of support.

4. How do you calculate torque of a leaning rigid body?

To calculate the torque of a leaning rigid body, you will need to know the weight of the object, the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass, and the angle at which the object is leaning. You can then use the formula τ = mgd sinθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the distance to the center of mass, and θ is the angle of the lean.

5. What is the significance of calculating torque of a leaning rigid body?

Calculating the torque of a leaning rigid body is important in understanding the stability and equilibrium of the object. It can also help engineers and designers in determining the necessary supports and reinforcements needed for the object to maintain its balance and prevent it from tipping over.