Boyle's flask - really? how? and what if?

• Thread starter DkP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flask
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of perpetual motion and its potential use for generating power. The question asks why the flowing water between the exit tube and the funnel flask cannot be utilized to turn a small turbine. The response explains that discussions of perpetual motion are banned as they are a waste of time and provides links to websites debunking the concept.
DkP
yes, a perpetual motion question:

Can Boyle's Flask actually produce perpetual motion? - i have read much debate on the subject. If so what i would like to know is: why can it not be used to generate power?

now i know the question probably makes me a target for accusations of ignorance, stupidity and other such (last thread i read on the subject of perpetual motion/power production lead to someone being told to get their head out of their rectum and read a physics book)

my question: why can't the flowing water between the exit tube and the funnel flask not be utilized to turn a small turbine?

as i understand it, the water flow is caused by the pressure of the water sitting in the flask. So surely as long as their is sufficient fluid in rotation to keep adequate pressure then it will keep flowing.

The fact that this isn't powering the world means its clearly not that simple: but i can't see a hole in the logic

Engineering news on Phys.org
DkP said:
yes, a perpetual motion question:

Can Boyle's Flask actually produce perpetual motion? - i have read much debate on the subject. If so what i would like to know is: why can it not be used to generate power?

now i know the question probably makes me a target for accusations of ignorance, stupidity and other such (last thread i read on the subject of perpetual motion/power production lead to someone being told to get their head out of their rectum and read a physics book)

my question: why can't the flowing water between the exit tube and the funnel flask not be utilized to turn a small turbine?

as i understand it, the water flow is caused by the pressure of the water sitting in the flask. So surely as long as their is sufficient fluid in rotation to keep adequate pressure then it will keep flowing.

The fact that this isn't powering the world means its clearly not that simple: but i can't see a hole in the logic

Welcome to the PF.

We do not permit discussions of PMMs here -- they are a waste of time. As such, they are listed in the Banned Topics list in the Rules link at the top of the page. Included are some links to some websites that may help you understand why they cannot work:

Banned Topics List said:
Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):

Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions

http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html

This thread is closed.

1. What is Boyle's flask?

Boyle's flask is a scientific apparatus used to demonstrate Boyle's Law, which states that the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional at a constant temperature.

2. How does Boyle's flask work?

Boyle's flask consists of a closed, sealed container with a movable piston and a pressure gauge. By changing the position of the piston, the volume of the gas inside the flask can be altered, thus changing the pressure. The pressure and volume readings are then recorded and used to verify Boyle's Law.

3. Is Boyle's flask a reliable way to demonstrate Boyle's Law?

Yes, Boyle's flask is a reliable way to demonstrate Boyle's Law as long as the temperature remains constant and the gas inside the flask behaves ideally.

4. What if the temperature changes while using Boyle's flask?

If the temperature changes while using Boyle's flask, the gas inside the flask will not behave ideally and the readings may not accurately reflect the relationship between pressure and volume. In order to accurately demonstrate Boyle's Law, the temperature must be kept constant.

5. Can Boyle's flask be used to study other gas laws?

Yes, Boyle's flask can also be used to study other gas laws, such as Charles's Law and Gay-Lussac's Law, by altering the temperature and pressure in addition to changing the volume.