What career paths can you pursue with a BSc in Physics?

In summary: However, I think it's worth mentioning that physicists are really good at finding solutions to problems, and this is a skill that is in high demand in the real world. In terms of what to do after getting your degree in physics, you'll just have to see what interests you the most and research what courses might be necessary to pursue that.
SpeedBird
Hello there, i am a third year undergrad physics student in ireland
i have to give a talk on careers with a basic physics degree.
id like to hear from people that have gone straight into work after
getting their degree in physics. does anyone know what areas
people go into? is it mostly industry?

Cheers

Nik

Physics news on Phys.org
well the talk went excellently :-D

Nik

Well, now you mention it, a guy I went to school with graduated from Oxford with a BA in Physics (yeah, BA, I know...!) and he went into working in the city developing hedging models for some investment banking company!

What did you end up talking about?

I know the best answer to this: The career you may get into with BSc in Physics is:

Graduate Student

On a serious note - depending on which courses you took, you can get into 'engineering', financial analysis, High School teacher (need further training and certificates), lab technician, business entrepreneur. You should mention how physicists are good at finding solutions, optimizations, etc - this is an important skill in real world

Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21
brewnog said:
Well, now you mention it, a guy I went to school with graduated from Oxford with a BA in Physics (yeah, BA, I know...!) and he went into working in the city developing hedging models for some investment banking company!

What did you end up talking about?

so if i ve finished my bachelor ddegree in pure physics i can contiune my studies in becoming an engineer ??

elabed haidar said:
so if i ve finished my bachelor ddegree in pure physics i can contiune my studies in becoming an engineer ??

Did you take any courses that taught you how to do anything worthwhile? Worthwhile in this sense meaning skills you can use at a job such as programming, electronics, etc.

well i have to elaborate i am from lebanon and i tend to coniune my studies in australlia and i can't decide whether to contiune with pure physics or electronics as my major what do you think

SpeedBird said:
Hello there, i am a third year undergrad physics student in ireland
i have to give a talk on careers with a basic physics degree.
id like to hear from people that have gone straight into work after
getting their degree in physics. does anyone know what areas
people go into? is it mostly industry?

Cheers

Nik

You've probably heard the usual options many times by now: finance, teaching, engineering, research, IT etc, and it's all true.

Likes DeBangis21

What can I do with a BSc in Physics?

A BSc in Physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Some common options include working as a research scientist, data analyst, engineer, teacher, or in the finance or technology industry. Your analytical and problem-solving skills gained from studying physics can be applied to various fields.

Do I have to work in a lab if I have a BSc in Physics?

No, there are many careers outside of traditional lab work that are available to those with a BSc in Physics. Many employers value the critical thinking, math, and technical skills gained from studying physics, making it a versatile degree for various industries.

What skills do I gain from studying physics?

Studying physics can develop a wide range of valuable skills, including problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, mathematical modeling, and communication skills. These skills are highly sought after by employers in many industries.

Can I pursue a graduate degree with a BSc in Physics?

Yes, a BSc in Physics can provide a strong foundation for pursuing a graduate degree in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, or finance. It is important to research the specific requirements and prerequisites for the graduate program you are interested in.

What salary can I expect with a career in physics?

The salary for careers with a BSc in Physics can vary widely depending on the specific job and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $122,220 in May 2020. However, salaries can range from around $60,000 to over $200,000 depending on experience, education, and location.