Printer low on ink, what to do?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ink
In summary, the conversation discusses three options for dealing with running out of ink in a printer: purchasing a new ink cartridge, refilling the current one, or buying a new printer. It is mentioned that the prices for all three options are similar and that purchasing a new printer can sometimes be cheaper due to "test" cartridges. The conversation also mentions that laser printers are a more cost-effective option for printing in black and white, but inkjet printers are better for printing photos. Refilling ink cartridges is also mentioned as a cheaper option, but may not work with newer printers due to chipped cartridges. The speaker has decided to use a laser printer and get color photos printed elsewhere due to the high cost of color cartridges.
leroyjenkens
I have 3 options; get a new black ink cartridge, refill the one I have, or buy a whole new printer.

It's absurd, but the price for all 3 are about the same, as far as I can tell. Am I just looking at the wrong places to get new cartridges or refills, or is this normal?

What do you guys do when you run out of ink in your printer?

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I used to work in an electronics retail store, you're not looking at the prices wrong at all, it is by far cheaper to purchase a new printer than to replace your ink cartridges, what i used to suggest to customers only printing in black is to purchase a black Laser printer as they last a hell of a lot longer and I am sure they have come down to around $100 if not less, The reason why a new printer is almost the same price and sometimes even cheaper than replacing your ink is due to new printers only coming with "test" cartridges meaning they will not last as long as a new print cartridge and are practically half full, with laser printers they come by default with a full drum and powder unit. if you are just printing off invoices or resume's ect. i would definately just go for a black & white laser printer.

if you are looking at the colour side of things the ball park changes completely, laser initial cost is by far over the top of the traditional inkjet printers but in the long run are cheaper to run/replace parts.
In saying that you could easily go out and purchase a new inkjet printer and update when it runs out of ink as its cheap, it really comes down to quality, if you are printing photo's the quality is better with an inkjet printer compared with a laser (at equal price range) but printing photo's again comes down to cost vs quality.

I won't go into figures for cost vs quality as its so variable between brands i would be here all day but a rough guide line is the more you pay for a printer in the initial cost the higher the quality and the more expensive the ink cartridges are (usually equalling the initial cost of the printer) and with laser you get slightly less quality, lasts longer and is cheaper in the long run.

side note, refilling is usually cheaper than the other two options but depends on the company doing the refills there is a few places that are DIY they used to work back in the day when the cartridges were not chipped, with majority of the new printers each cartridge is chipped with information letting the printer know when it is empty so if you manually fill it, the printer will still state that it is empty. This is what i personally hate, printer companies want you to purchase their ink and no one elses, so they make the most out of you, granted there are still a few printers on the market that do not use this technology (majority of the <$100) but they do not give you the quality.

I have decided to use a laser printer. If my wife or I want a color pic, we shop it off to Wal-Mart or similar to get it printed. The cost of buying color cartridges is just too high.

As a scientist, my recommendation would be to first check if your printer has any built-in maintenance or cleaning functions that could potentially extend the life of your current ink cartridge. If not, then it would be more cost-effective to purchase a refill kit and refill the cartridge yourself rather than buying a new one or a new printer. However, it's important to note that refilling cartridges can sometimes result in lower print quality and potential damage to the printer, so it may be worth investing in a high-quality refill kit or seeking professional assistance. Additionally, it's always a good idea to shop around and compare prices for new cartridges and printers to ensure you are getting the best deal. Ultimately, it's important to weigh the cost and potential risks of each option before making a decision.

1. Why is my printer showing a low ink level?

Most printers use a system of sensors and software to estimate the ink level in your cartridges. These estimates are based on the amount of ink used for previous print jobs and may not always be accurate.

2. Can I continue printing with low ink levels?

Yes, you can continue printing with low ink levels, but the quality of your prints may be affected. The colors may appear faded or streaky, and you may need to replace the cartridges sooner.

3. How can I check the actual ink level in my printer?

Depending on your printer model, you can usually check the ink levels by accessing the printer's settings or maintenance menu. You can also check the ink levels through your computer by opening the printer's software or control panel.

4. What are some tips for conserving ink in my printer?

You can conserve ink by printing in draft or grayscale mode, using the print preview function before printing, and avoiding unnecessary print jobs. Additionally, make sure to properly store your ink cartridges when not in use to prevent them from drying out.

5. When should I replace my ink cartridges?

You should replace your ink cartridges when your prints start to show a noticeable decrease in quality or when the printer prompts you to do so. It's also a good idea to keep spare cartridges on hand so you can replace them as soon as they run out.