My Venus Fly Trap: Helping Jesus Feel Better

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Venus
In summary: Whenever I went away on vacations from college, to avoid having my plants burn up in the sun or dry out, I would put all of them in indirect light and cover them with this same plastic bag technique. Except the cacti of course
Gale
I have a venus fly trap that i bought from the grocery store a year ago. His name is Jesus. He's grown tons since I've gotten him, (oh his name is Jesus by the way.) I took him to college with me, and he hasn't been very happy. When i first got here, i set him by the window, but the heater is right next to the window, so it burnt his leaves. And really, it was probably too cold for him when the heat wasn't going. So all his little fly-eating pod thingies eventually broke off, and his leaves went really brown, and he looked so sad.

I've been playing guitar for him, spanish style, how he likes it, and i sing for him, and i water him and I've tried making him feel better, but he still looks pretty sad. He's gotten loads better, sure. He's a lot greener, and his leaves aren't as dried out. But some of his leaves are getting holes in them now and tears that aren't from the initial burning by the heater. He's had some new growth though too. He's gotten at least one more leaf since I've come to college, and there's another one sprouting up. He hasn't regrown and fly-eating things though, so perhaps he isn't getting enough nutrtition?

I'm not sure how much I'm actually sposed to water him, i kinda just do it whenever, which is usually kinda often, but i thought they liked water, so i dunno. Also, maybe once the weather get warmer, he'll probably be happier. But anyways, I'm wasn't positive weather this was a real bio question, but eh, i wanted some serious answers, so i didn't post in GD. I want Jesus to feel better! any suggestions?

Biology news on Phys.org
Mine always used to like water. Love water. Mmmm oh yes she did. Anja lasted a few years, she flourished in the summer with a combination of warmth and flies. She didn't like wasps, bacon or cashew nuts. She wasn't a fan of strong sunlight either. She stopped growing every winter, and most of her mouths turned brown and rotted off. But then, when spring came, she grew those really tall flowers, which then died back, and she started sprouting new mouths! Sadly she passed away last winter.

A couple of things to think about. Did you move the plant from one major geographic region to another when you went to college, could it be experiencing significantly different conditions (even indoors) than it did when it was doing well? Have you changed to food you provide? These are bog plants and really like a lot of substrate moisture (never let them dry out) and humidity. Is it much drier where you are now? Perhaps you can buy/make a terrarium for it to increase the moisture. Apparently these plants like a "rest" in the winter months, perhaps that's what it was trying to do. Check out http://www.oudeanswillowcreeknursery.com/caresheets/venusflycare.htm site from the International Carnivorous Plant Society or other websites on venus flytrap care on the web and you might be better able to provide for your friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can make a little green house by cutting off the bottom of a 2L pop bottle. Remove the cap and just sit the plant under it.

hypatia said:
You can make a little green house by cutting off the bottom of a 2L pop bottle. Remove the cap and just sit the plant under it.

I like that idea of the pop bottle :biggrin:
I was going to suggest a similar one. Water your fly trap, then take a clear plastic (polyethylene) bag, put it over the whole plant and pot.
Secure along the base of the pot with a rubber band. It creates a terrarium habitat too.

Whenever I went away on vacations from college, to avoid having my plants burn up in the sun or dry out, I would put all of them in indirect light and cover them with this same plastic bag technique. Except the cacti of course :smile:

1. How does a Venus fly trap help Jesus feel better?

A Venus fly trap does not actually have the ability to help Jesus feel better. This phrase is used metaphorically in the context of the book to represent a child's desire to help someone they care about.

2. Is this book scientifically accurate?

While the book does include some facts about Venus fly traps, it is ultimately a work of fiction and should not be used as a scientific resource.

3. Can a Venus fly trap really eat a whole hamburger?

No, Venus fly traps are relatively small plants and do not have the ability to consume a whole hamburger. They primarily feed on insects and other small prey.

4. Are Venus fly traps dangerous to humans?

Venus fly traps are not dangerous to humans. They do not have the ability to move and are not large enough to cause harm.

5. How long do Venus fly traps typically live?

Venus fly traps can live for several years if cared for properly. They require specific conditions and care in order to thrive and survive for extended periods of time.