Calcium Bromide (Anhydrous) Not Dissolving?

• Thread starter guguma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calcium
In summary, the speaker is having trouble preparing a solution in the lab using DI Millipore Grade Water and Calcium Bromide from Alfa-Aesar. The calcium bromide is supposed to be highly soluble but the speaker is unable to make a 0.1M solution. The solution appears to have whitish particulates and thread-like objects even after stirring and heating. They are seeking insights and ask about the received date and texture of the calcium bromide.
guguma
Hi All,

So, I am having trouble with a solution I am trying to prepare in the lab which baffles me and here it is:

--Water used is DI Millipore Grade Water--

I have Calcium Bromide (Anhydrous) %99.5 from Alfa-Aesar, CaBr(2) is supposed to be highly soluble about 125g/100ml at 0 Degrees Celsius. I am just trying to make a 0.1M solution approximately 20g/L, yet I cannot?

What I see is a suspension like solution of whitish particulates (and even a couple of thread like objects), no matter how much I stir/heat the solution.

Any Insights?

Thank You.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Working on the basics here.

What is the received date on the CaBr2?

Is the power smooth or clumpy?

1. Why is calcium bromide (anhydrous) not dissolving?

Calcium bromide (anhydrous) is not dissolving because it is a salt that has a low solubility in water. This means that it does not easily break apart and mix with water molecules.

2. What factors can affect the solubility of calcium bromide (anhydrous)?

The solubility of calcium bromide (anhydrous) can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the solution. Higher temperatures and pressures can increase solubility, while the presence of other substances can decrease solubility.

3. Can I increase the solubility of calcium bromide (anhydrous) in water?

Yes, the solubility of calcium bromide (anhydrous) can be increased by increasing the temperature or pressure, or by adding a substance that can dissolve it, such as an acid or a strong base. However, it is important to note that these methods may also change the properties of the solution.

4. Is it safe to handle calcium bromide (anhydrous) in its solid form?

While calcium bromide (anhydrous) itself is not highly toxic, it is important to handle it with caution as it can irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory system. It is also important to avoid inhaling its dust or fumes.

5. What are some common uses of calcium bromide (anhydrous)?

Calcium bromide (anhydrous) is commonly used in oil and gas drilling as a clear, dense brine that helps to prevent well blowouts and to control the formation of clays. It is also used in the production of pharmaceuticals, fire retardants, and other chemicals.