Job Search for Math Graduates | Career Guidance

In summary: ANNING TO GRADUATE WITH A BACHELORS IN MATH THIS SEMESTER, BUT CAN'T FIND ANYTHING AS A JOB. I'M PLANNING ON GOING TO GRADUATE SCHOOL, BUT JUST CAN'T DO IT YET, SO WANT TO TAKE THE TIME THAT I'M OFF IN FINDING A JOB. SOME RECOMMENDED PLACES FOR A JOB FOR A MATH GRADUATE ARE MONSTER.COM AND USJOBS.GOV, BUT I STILL CAN'T FIND ANYTHING. I'VE TRIED THESE SITES AND I FOUND IT VERY HARD TO FIND TEMPORARY JOBS
semidevil
i'm sure you guys get a lot of this by the end of the semester, but anyways, I'm graduating with a bachelors in math this semester, and haven't been able to find anything as a job. I'm planning on going to grad school, but just cannot do it yet, so want to take the time that I'm off in finding a job.

what do you guys reccomend for a job for a math graduate? my interest is usually applied math, mainly statistics, but just can't find anything...

i've tried monster.com and usajobs.gov, but still no give,...just want to see if you guys have any leads...

Physics news on Phys.org
I found it very hard to find temporary jobs of any kind. Training newbies costs money and jobs hope people will stay. I even had trouble getting a job lugging meat in the meat market, but enjoyed it for, a coup[le of years.

as a high school student i changed policies in an insurance company but they too hoped i would stay there as a future (and the boss was my distant cousin). after getting a couple of years grad school i found a job teaching in a small college but that would be unlikely today. some people i knew with broad science training taught in private schools or prep schools.

since you want to go to grad school, you might find a summer research experience that is paid by a grant.

at harvard in the old days recruiters came around to the dining halls and offered us summer jobs of various kinds, even in factories, just because the guy said they "liked harvard students".

there should be a job office at your scvhool, and you should use it. jobs are obtained via connections and as soon as you leave school you no longer have as many of those.

the one thing that got me the beef lugging job, was I told the boss what my mother always told me to say: "I have no experience but I can learn to do anything anybody else can do."

That's a good line. Thank your mother for me. :)

PL

What career options are available to math graduates?

Math graduates have a wide range of career options, including roles in finance, data analysis, software development, actuarial science, and teaching. They can also pursue graduate studies in fields such as mathematics, statistics, or engineering.

What skills do math graduates possess that are valuable in the job market?

Math graduates have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to think critically and make logical conclusions. They also have a strong foundation in data analysis and mathematical modeling, which are highly sought after skills in many industries.

How can math graduates stand out in the job search process?

To stand out in the job search process, math graduates should highlight their quantitative skills and their ability to think critically and solve complex problems. They should also gain experience through internships, research projects, or extracurricular activities that demonstrate their skills and interests.

What are some resources for math graduates to use in their job search?

There are many resources available for math graduates to use in their job search, including career centers at universities, job search websites, professional organizations, and networking events. They can also reach out to alumni or professionals in their desired field for advice and guidance.

What can math graduates do to prepare for job interviews?

To prepare for job interviews, math graduates should research the company and the role they are applying for, practice their problem-solving skills, and be able to explain how their math background is relevant to the job. They should also prepare to discuss their strengths, weaknesses, and career goals.