Should We Allow Thread Title Edits?

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of allowing thread titles to be edited by the original poster. While it is possible to request a title change through the report button, it would be more convenient to be able to do it oneself. Mentors are also capable of quickly making title changes. However, some participants feel that being able to make their own edits would be more efficient. The conversation ends with an appreciation for the work of the mentors and a humorous suggestion to give them a vacation by allowing users to edit their own thread titles.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Has there been any thoughts about allowing the edition of the title of a thread when the original poster presses the edit button? Just a thought I had that might be useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always request that a thread be renamed by hitting the report button.

Would be easier to be able to just do myself though is my point

Maylis said:
Would be easier to be able to just do myself though is my point
Mentors can get it done very fast. Don't worry!

I don't see a reason why you should change the title. You should make a nice descriptive title at first.

adjacent said:
Mentors can get it done very fast. Don't worry!

I don't see a reason why you should change the title. You should make a nice descriptive title at first.

Some of us make typing mistakes that we wish we could go fix without having to ask someone to do it for us.

Poo-pooing the problem as "not a problem" doesn't help fix it.

Editing titles is one of the easiest things we do as Mentors. Almost like taking a 30-second vacation... :biggrin:

berkeman said:
Editing titles is one of the easiest things we do as Mentors. Almost like taking a 30-second vacation... :biggrin:

Well, in THAT case ...

I appreciate all the work the mentors do, so anything to give them a vacation :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of allowing edits on a document?

The purpose of allowing edits on a document is to give users the ability to make changes and updates to the content of the document. This can be helpful for collaboration, as multiple users can contribute to the document and make improvements.

2. How can edits be tracked and managed?

Edits can be tracked and managed through version control systems, such as GitHub or Google Docs. These systems allow users to view the history of edits made to a document and revert back to previous versions if needed.

3. Are there any potential drawbacks to allowing edits?

One potential drawback of allowing edits is the risk of unauthorized or malicious changes to the document. It is important to have proper security measures in place to prevent this from happening. Also, too many edits can make it difficult to keep track of the most recent and accurate version of the document.

4. How can edits be restricted to certain users or sections of a document?

Edits can be restricted to certain users or sections of a document by implementing user permissions and access controls. This allows only authorized users to make edits and restricts their access to certain parts of the document.

5. How can feedback and suggestions be incorporated into the document without directly editing it?

Feedback and suggestions can be incorporated into the document without directly editing it by using commenting and suggestion features. This allows users to provide feedback and make suggestions without making direct changes to the document. The document owner can then review and decide whether or not to incorporate these suggestions into the document.