Announcing the retirement of ZapperZ

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, ZapperZ has retired from Physics Forums. He has contributed a lot of content and guidance over the years and will be missed.
Physics Forums is announcing the retirement of ZapperZ

How do you say thanks to someone who has given unquantifiable amounts of themselves to a community?

I think this is personal and unique to each Physics Forums member. It's best to gently reflect and realize the profound energy ZapperZ put into PF. To use a cliche, words are not enough. Which is why it's best realized with a meditation and a smile :)

When ZapperZ informed me of his retirement, a lot of emotions flooded my thoughts. But there was one emotion that rose to the top and dominated every other. That feeling was one of overwhelming respect and gratitude.

With literally thousands of hours under his belt, ZapperZ added a strong sense of order and purpose to a naturally chaotic environment. He stressed doing things the right way even if it took more time. His posting approach was to be clear and honest. His crackpot slaying is the thing of legends.

Throughout his tenure, ZapperZ's "So You Want To Be A Physicist" has been one of PF's most viewed and popular guides. ZapperZ's content has also been linked to on multiple occasions by major publications and gained much attention around other communities.

Many will ask why ZapperZ is retiring. I can't answer this for him directly, but I can say that life is a book full of chapters. Even a great chapter of 10 years must come to an end. I know ZapperZ is excited to start his next one. We can only hope to make a few cameo appearances in it!

The community will feel a sense of loss, but we must also feel strong gratitude. Staff are dynamic people with busy lives like anyone else. The fact that they take some of their free time to volunteer in making PF feel like a home to many of us is a wondrous thing. We should feel thankful for the time they can and have offered.

So we send ZapperZ to the winds of wisdom and hope at some point they blow him back to us.

From the bottom of my heart, ZapperZ, thank you!

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
:cry: Thanks a lot ZapperZ :cry:

:cry: Zz, you are responsible for so much of what PF is today. I am honored to have known you and worked alongside you, following your guidance on so many issues. To say you will be missed is a huge understatement. You cannot be replaced.

ZZ I have greatly appreciated the fact that you always tell it like it is. Thanks for all the help. Hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of whatever you are moving on to, whether it's sitting in a rocking chair or driving race cars. :smile:

I feel like the Statue of Liberty suddenly left New York.

bowing_smiley.gif

Thank you for your guidance. You have made an impact on me and others.

Thank you, Zapper.

I made a picture for you:

2hi5og3.png

It's how I will always think of you :smile:.

Awesome lisab!

May the winds of retirement bring you happiness and lots and lots of booze. Or donuts. Whichever one you like more.

Your work here will help people for years to come. I'll never forget the wisdom you've so freely shared.

Thank You Sir

Good luck and godspeed good sir.

Thanks, ZapperZ, for putting heart and soul into PF.

A thread by ZapperZ was the first I participated in on PF. Enjoy "retirement" and thanks for everything!

Thanks ZapperZ for all your efforts on PF. I wanted to wish you all the best on your "retirement".

As they say on Star Trek:

Live long and prosper!

spock.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks ZapperZ for everything. You are one of my favourite members here. :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
How do you say thanks to someone who has given unquantifiable amounts of themselves to a community?
Thanks for all the fish?

He just didn't want to get stuck cleaning up all those pot shards strewn about.

This is really hard to swallow:cry:. Thanks for all your effort ZapperZ!

PhysicoRaj said:
This is really hard to swallow

Well then, maybe a spoonful of sugar will help it go down.

{The Mentors might get a chuckle out of this because I quoted another "Sound of Music" title to bid them farewell}

Thanks everyone. Please know that this was not an easy decision, especially leaving something that I've put blood, sweat, and tears in. But I seldom do things, especially when it is related to physics, half-heartedly. It might easily be a character flaw. And when I realize that the fire isn't there anymore, it is time to step down and move on.

I am not retiring from physics. Heck, I'm going to continue to battle funding agencies and intro physics students who think physics is tough when, in reality, they are actually deficient on mathematics. So I may still rear my ugly head in here once in a while.

It has been a blast. I wish you well, and stay away from the crackpots!

Zz.

Likes 1 person
ZapperZ said:
Well then, maybe a spoonful of sugar will help it go down.
:tongue:
I am not retiring from physics. Heck, I'm going to continue to battle funding agencies and intro physics students who think physics is tough when, in reality, they are actually deficient on mathematics. So I may still rear my ugly head in here once in a while.
All the best Zz!

I wish you well, and stay away from the crackpots!

:rofl:

Best wishes ZZ for everything in your future :)

Regards
Dave

1. What is the reason for ZapperZ's retirement?

ZapperZ has decided to retire in order to pursue other personal and professional opportunities.

2. How long has ZapperZ been a scientist?

ZapperZ has been a scientist for over 20 years and has made significant contributions to the field.

3. Will ZapperZ's retirement affect any ongoing research projects?

No, ZapperZ has made sure to properly transition any ongoing research projects to other scientists in the field.

4. What impact has ZapperZ had on the scientific community?

ZapperZ has been a highly respected and influential member of the scientific community, known for their groundbreaking research and mentorship of young scientists.

5. Will ZapperZ's retirement affect the availability of their published work?

No, ZapperZ's published work will still be available for reference and use by other scientists, as it will remain a valuable contribution to the field.