Brainfarting reading Griffiths QM (small step in solving Hydrogen atom

In summary, the radial equation in terms of v(p) reads p*d^{2}v/dp^{2} +2(l+1-p)dv/dp + [p_{0}-2(l+1)]v=0. This is what is confusing the speaker.
ThereIam
I can tell this is simple, but I'm just not seeing it: (pages 146-147)

Radial equation = d[itex]^{2}[/itex]u/dp[itex]^{2}[/itex] = [1 - p[itex]_{0}[/itex]/p + l(l+1)/p[itex]^{2}[/itex]]u

Later... (having stripped off the asymptotic p[itex]^{l}[/itex]e[itex]^{-p}[/itex] parts)

d[itex]^{2}[/itex]u/dp[itex]^{2}[/itex] = p[itex]^{l}[/itex]e[itex]^{-p}[/itex]{[-2l-2+p+l(l+1)/p]v + 2(l+1-p)dv/dp + p*d[itex]^{2}[/itex]v/dp[itex]^{2}[/itex]}

And he says, "In terms of v(p), then, the radial equation [as I put it above] reads

p*d[itex]^{2}[/itex]v/dp[itex]^{2}[/itex] +2(l+1-p)dv/dp + [p[itex]_{0}[/itex]-2(l+1)]v=0.

Wot?

On a loosely related note, should I bother to memorize these sorts of derivations? And at what point in my physics career ought I be proficient at busting out the power series method to solve differential equations?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly about the derivation isn't clear? It looks straightforward to me. Just plug the expression above (4.61) into the LHS of (4.56) and use (4.60) in the RHS of (4.56). Then simplify using a bit of algebra.

You should understand the technique used here as it is a very important one and you must become proficient in it. It is called Frobenius' method. Of course there's no point in memorizing as that will not make you proficient. You should do a lot of problems which involve the use of Frobenius' method. Griffiths has a couple of them.

Thanks, that's what I was doing. I must have just been screwing up the algebra.

Yeah, I was asking two different questions: 1) Should I memorize these derivations and 2) by what point in my physics career should I be proficient with the Frobenius method (not "Is it important to know how to use the Frobenius method?"). You didn't answer either of those, haha, but thanks for the first part. I do assume that I need to learn Frobenius (and I actually do feel like I understand it, but as you pointed out, practice is in order).

Thanks!

In what point in your career do you need to know a method is absolutely not an answerable question, because it makes no sense. It helps you solve some problem, so it's useful to know. In what point of your career do you need to know how to find some limits?
Also memorizing a method is not appropriate. In one month or year, it will be forgotten.

ThereIam said:
[...] by what point in my physics career should I be proficient with the Frobenius method (not "Is it important to know how to use the Frobenius method?").
Hah! :rofl:

You should have heard the loud collective mega-brainfart in the lecture hall when I was first exposed to solving the Schrodinger eqn for the Hydrogen atom. The lecturer just threw around terms and methods (e.g., separation of variables, Legendre functions, Laguerre polynomials, etc, etc), which no one in that class had yet studied in their math courses.

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is: if you're not already familiar with a technique, which then slams you out of nowhere in a (sloppily-presented) physics class, then that's the time to learn the technique. At least you have PF as a resource, where nice people will advise about helpful textbooks, etc. I had no such help available. :frown:

What is Brainfarting and how does it relate to Griffiths QM?

Brainfarting is a term used to describe the phenomenon of struggling to understand a concept, despite having a good grasp of the relevant background knowledge. In the context of reading Griffiths QM (a textbook on quantum mechanics), it refers to the difficulty of solving problems related to the Hydrogen atom, despite having a solid understanding of the theory.

Why is solving problems related to the Hydrogen atom considered a small step in Griffiths QM?

The Hydrogen atom is often used as a starting point in learning quantum mechanics because it is one of the simplest systems to study. Its properties and behaviors can be accurately predicted using the Schrödinger equation, making it a good introduction to the mathematical tools and concepts used in quantum mechanics.

What makes solving problems related to the Hydrogen atom challenging?

The Hydrogen atom is challenging because it requires a combination of mathematical skills, conceptual understanding, and physical intuition. It involves solving complex equations and understanding abstract concepts such as wave functions, energy levels, and quantum states. Additionally, the Hydrogen atom has unique properties, such as its discrete energy spectrum and the phenomenon of electron spin, which can be difficult to wrap one's head around.

How can one improve at solving problems related to the Hydrogen atom in Griffiths QM?

Practice and patience are key to improving at solving problems related to the Hydrogen atom. It is important to review and understand the relevant mathematical concepts and equations, as well as the physical principles behind them. Additionally, working through a variety of problems and seeking help from peers or a tutor can also be beneficial.

Are there any resources available to help with understanding Griffiths QM and solving problems related to the Hydrogen atom?

Yes, there are various resources available to assist with understanding Griffiths QM and solving problems related to the Hydrogen atom. These include online tutorials and lectures, practice problems and solutions, study guides and textbooks, and seeking help from professors or peers. It may also be helpful to join a study group or attend review sessions to further solidify understanding and improve problem-solving skills.