RGB to wavelenght or viceversa.

• Thread starter neurocomp2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelenght
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between RGB values and wavelength values, and whether it is possible to convert between the two. It is explained that a blend of different colors of light does not have a unique wavelength and that waves of different frequencies do not combine into a single, normal wave. The conversation also mentions that the eye contains three different light-sensitive pigments which determine the perceived color and that the frequency of activation of these pigments determines the perceived strength of the signal.
neurocomp2003
How would one convert RGB values to a wavelength value
OR
a wavelength value to RGB?

ie 180,180,60=?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that may be impossible. A blend of different colors of light does not have a unique wavelength. For example, you can't talk about the wavelength of the color brown because it is a mixture of light at different wavelengths.

but doesn't teh superposition mean that those different wavelengths...superimpose into one wave? with a wavelength because its a finite #?

No, waves of different frequencies do not combine into a single, normal wave. For example you can add two cosine waves of different frequencies. Suppose the average frequency of the two waves is m and that one wave has frequency (m+x) and the other (m-x). Then the function describing the amplitude of the wave is A=cos[(m+x)t] + cos[(m-x)t]. Using Euler's formula, that becomes
A = Re: e^[i(m+x)t] + e^[i(m-x)t]
= Re: {e^(imt)}*{e^(ixt) + e^(-ixt)}
= Re: {cos(mt) +i sin(mt)}*{cos(xt) + i sin(xt) + cos(-xt) + i sin(-xt)}
= Re: {cos(mt) +i sin(mt)}*{2cos(xt)}
= 2cos(mt)cos(xt)
Which is not a simple cosine wave (It looks like a cosine wave on top of a cosine wave for x<<m)
The eye contains three different light sensitive pigments which have maximum sensitivities at wavelengths corresponding roughly to red, green and blue. It is the relative extent to which these pigments are activated that determines what color is percieved. Each of these pigments can pick out of a complicated waveform that component of the the wave at the frequency to which it is most sensitive. No pure light could activate pigments that peak at different frequencies equally. This means that some colors can not be produced by pure light.

"It is the relative extent to which these pigments are activated that determines what color is percieved."
if so does this mean that the bipolar cells of the eye don't receive on/off signals from the cones&rods but REAL valued signals?

The frequency with which a neuron is activated determines the perceived strength of the signal. For example, to use random numbers, if a cell with one pigment is activated 10 times a second and a different one is activated fifteen times a second, the brain will interpret this as meaning the second color is more abundant.

1. What is the relationship between RGB and wavelength?

The RGB color model is based on the concept of additive color mixing, where different combinations of red, green, and blue light create a wide range of colors. Wavelength, on the other hand, is a measure of the distance between two peaks of a wave of light. While there is no direct conversion between RGB and wavelength, the three primary colors in the RGB model correspond to different ranges of wavelengths in the visible light spectrum.

2. How can I convert RGB values to a specific wavelength?

Since RGB and wavelength are not directly related, it is not possible to convert RGB values to a specific wavelength. However, there are color conversion formulas and tools available that can estimate the wavelength range of a given RGB color. Keep in mind that these estimates may not be entirely accurate due to variations in the perception of color and the limitations of the RGB color model.

3. Can I determine the exact wavelength of a color using RGB values?

No, it is not possible to determine the exact wavelength of a color using RGB values. RGB values only represent the intensity of red, green, and blue light in a color, and do not provide information about the specific wavelength of light. In order to accurately determine the wavelength of a color, one would need to use a spectrophotometer or other specialized equipment.

4. Is there a standard conversion formula for RGB to wavelength?

There is no universally accepted conversion formula for RGB to wavelength, as the relationship between the two is not linear. However, there are various formulas and algorithms that can provide an estimate of the wavelength range of a given RGB color. These estimates may vary depending on the source and should be used with caution.

5. How can I use RGB and wavelength in my scientific research?

RGB and wavelength are both important concepts in the fields of color theory and optics. In scientific research, these concepts can be used to study and understand the properties of light and how it interacts with different materials. RGB values can also be used to create visual representations of data and images, while wavelength can be used to measure the specific frequencies of light emitted or absorbed by a substance.