Friction, speed & distance question

In summary, the distance a person will slide if they are sliding at 3m/s and the coefficient of friction between the floor and their feet is 0.5 cannot be determined without knowing the person's weight or mass. However, the mass will cancel out when calculating the distance using the equation F= m [(vf^2-vi^2)/2d]. The mass also cancels out in other equations used to calculate the distance, such as Fd=1/2m v^2 and s(t) = 1/2 v02 / ([mu] g). While the area of contact between two surfaces can affect friction, it is not a significant factor in determining the distance a person will slide.
marshall4
How far will a person slide if they are sliding at 3m/s and the coefficient of friction between the floor and their feet is 0.5

Physics news on Phys.org
There's not enough information. You would have to know the person's weight (or mass) to calculate the actual friction force (friction coefficient times weight). That would determine the distance.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
There's not enough information. You would have to know the person's weight (or mass) to calculate the actual friction force (friction coefficient times weight). That would determine the distance.
Sorry, Halls, that's wrong. The mass cancels.

See this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8395&perpage=12&pagenumber=1

- Warren

Originally posted by HallsofIvy

Yes, the mass was given. 120kg

With that i found the Ff by uk*mg.

Then i used the equation F= m [(vf^2-vi^2)/2d] and rearranged it to d=[m(vf^2-vi^2)]/2F
The force that i subbed into that equation was the Ff=uk*mg, is that right?

Is there another way to do this, or did i do this wrong?

Not wrong, just a little wasted effort. Looking at your own equations, you can see that the mass cancels (as chroot pointed out) so it really is extraneous information.

Resist the temptation to start plugging in numbers prematurely. Figure things out symbolically as much as you can, then plug in the numbers.

I am not sure about my approach, but here is what i think:

Δx = ( v^2 - v(initial)^2 ) / 2a

ΣFx = max = Ff

max = μkFN * cos 180deg

since cos 180deg = -1, Ff is a negative quantity.
and the mass m cancels out.

ax = - 0.5 * 9.8 = -5 m/s

plug back in Δx equation:

Δx = abs(-9/10) = 9/10 m.

The sliding guy will travel 0.9 meters.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Doc Al
Not wrong, just a little wasted effort. Looking at your own equations, you can see that the mass cancels (as chroot pointed out) so it really is extraneous information.

Resist the temptation to start plugging in numbers prematurely. Figure things out symbolically as much as you can, then plug in the numbers.

What does the mass cancel out with?

F = [mu] N = [mu] m g

F = m a

[mu] m g = m a

a = - [mu] g (negative sign because the slider is slowing down)

v(t) = v0 + a t

v(t) = v0 - [mu] g

When he stops, his velocity is zero:

0 = v0 - [mu] g

t = v0 / ([mu] g)

s(t) = v0 t + 1/2 a t2

s(t) = v0 (v0 / ([mu] g) ) - 1/2 [mu] g * (v02 / ([mu] g)2 )

s(t) = 1/2 v02 / ([mu] g)

Does this help?

- Warren

Originally posted by marshall4

mass cancels out with mass. it's a mathematical "trick".

Originally posted by marshall4

With itself, of course! (D'oh!)

Using conservation of energy:

(all the KE goes into work against friction)

Fd=1/2m v^2
F=umg

umgd = 1/2mv^2 (the mass cancels here)

d= v^2/(2ug)

The answers posted seem to be in nice accordance with the physics I was taught in high school. However, in practice they fail dismally, unless one at least brings the area of contact between the two surfaces into the equation. There is a reason formula one cars have tyres as wide as a barn door, and that the trimming of cars usually involves changing to wider tyres. I think there is some relationship which dictates that the greater the area, the greater the friction becomes. Does anyone know anything about this?

Originally posted by toa
The answers posted seem to be in nice accordance with the physics I was taught in high school. However, in practice they fail dismally, unless one at least brings the area of contact between the two surfaces into the equation. There is a reason formula one cars have tyres as wide as a barn door, and that the trimming of cars usually involves changing to wider tyres. I think there is some relationship which dictates that the greater the area, the greater the friction becomes. Does anyone know anything about this?
Tires are quite special, because the deform, heat up, and become greasy as they are used. That does not mean that the area is important in determining friction -- in general, it is not.

- Warren

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It is caused by the interaction between two surfaces in contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect speed?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, so it can slow down the speed of the object. The amount of friction depends on factors such as the type of surface and the weight of the object.

3. What is the relationship between friction and distance?

Friction can also affect the distance an object travels. The more friction present, the shorter the distance an object can travel.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using materials with smoother surfaces, adding lubricants, or reducing the weight of the object.

5. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are moving relative to each other. Kinetic friction is usually stronger than static friction.