Temperature Change and Volume Expansion

In summary: However, if you want to be more accurate, then using the original method would be the better option. In summary, the conversation discusses the approach to finding the additional volume of water that can be added to a Pyrex container filled with 40.0L of water at 90.0 degrees C and then cooled to 20.0 degrees C. The conversation also discusses the use of equations for change in volume and change in holding capacity of Pyrex container, as well as an alternative method using the coefficient of volume expansion. It is concluded that although the alternative method may be simpler, using the original method yields a more accurate result.
yellowgators

Homework Statement

A Pyrex container is filled to the very top with 40.0L of water. Both the container and the water are at a temperature of 90.0 degrees C. When the temperature has cooled to 20.0 degrees C how much additional water can be added to the container?

Homework Equations

(delta-V)/(V-initial)=(beta)(delta-T)
(delta-L)/(L-initial)=(alpha)(delta-T)
(delta-A)/(A-initial)=2(alpha)(delta-T)

The Attempt at a Solution

The change in the volume of water:
(delta-V)=(beta-water)(delta-T)(V-initial)=(207*10^-6/K)(70K)(40L)=0.5796L
the final volume of water- 39.4204 L

change in holding capacity of Pyrex container:
I used the equation for change in linear direction for the height of the cylinder and change in the area for the cross-sectional area of the cylinder.
(delta-L)=(alpha-Pyrex)(delta-T)(L-initial)=(3.25*10^6/K)(70K)(L-intial)
final length=.9997725(L-initial)
(delta-A)=2(alpha)(delta-T)(A-initial)=2(3.25*10^6/K)(70K)(A-initial)
final area=.999545(A-initial)
final volume of cylinder=final length*final area=.9993176(V-initial)=.9993176(40L)=39.9727 L

final volume of cyliner-final volume of water=0.5523L

Does my method make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
The approach is quite correct. But if you are aware of the fact that the coefficient of volume expansion (i.e. beta) is equal to 3*(alpha), then you might have used a simpler method. You could have used the equations:-

(V-final)=(V-initial)[1 + (beta)(delta-T)]
(beta)=3*(alpha)

For water, (V-final)=(V-initial)[1 + 3*(alphaw)(delta-T)]
where alphaw is coefficient of linear expansion of water

Similarly for pyrex, (V-final)=(V-initial)[1 + 3*(alphap)(delta-T)]
where alphap is coefficient of linear expansion of pyrex

Now to calculate the final answer i.e. Volume of additional water, you just have to subtract the final volume of water from the final volume of pyrex container. This would result in the simple equation:-
Volume of additional water = (V-initial)[3*(alphap - alphaw)(delta-T)]
This approach simplifies calculations, and also less no. of equations are formed.

P.S.- You might have some problem visualizing that the final volume of the pyrex container can be calculated directly without using the initial length and the initial base area. To understand this, you can analyze your approach-

(final-L)=(L-initial)[1 + (alpha-Pyrex)(delta-T)]
(final-A)=(A-initial)[1 + 2*(alpha-Pyrex)(delta-T)]

Now multiply the two equations. You will get:-
(final-V)=(L-initial)(A-initial)[1 + (alpha-Pyrex)(delta-T)][1 + 2*(alpha-Pyrex)(delta-T)]
=(V-initial)[1 + 3*(alpha-Pyrex)(delta-T) + 2*((alpha-Pyrex)(delta-T))^2]
If you neglect the term containing the square of the coefficient of linear expansion (as that term would be much less than the other terms), then you can obtain the equation that I used in my solution.

Last edited:
alecsing said:
You might have some problem visualizing that the final volume of the pyrex container can be calculated directly without using the initial length and the initial base area.

I double-checked my method versus the method using beta to find the final volume of the pyrex container. The final volumes are not equal using both methods; the volume of the one I used is larger. This makes sense because beta would be used, in this case, for a solid cylinder of Pyrex. A solid cylinder would not expand at the same rate as an open container simplified into 1- and 2-dimensional parts.

yellowgators said:
I double-checked my method versus the method using beta to find the final volume of the pyrex container. The final volumes are not equal using both methods; the volume of the one I used is larger. This makes sense because beta would be used, in this case, for a solid cylinder of Pyrex. A solid cylinder would not expand at the same rate as an open container simplified into 1- and 2-dimensional parts.

You are right in saying that the volume calculated by you would be larger and also more accurate. But the point I tried to make was that although it would be larger, but it would not be significantly larger (in fact very small relative to the rest of the terms). Therefore, it is simpler and less tedious to calculate it directly.

1. How does temperature change affect the volume of a substance?

Temperature change can affect the volume of a substance through a process called thermal expansion. When a substance is heated, its molecules move faster and take up more space, causing an increase in volume. Conversely, when a substance is cooled, its molecules slow down and the substance contracts, resulting in a decrease in volume.

2. What is the relationship between temperature change and volume expansion?

The relationship between temperature change and volume expansion is directly proportional. This means that as temperature increases, volume also increases, and as temperature decreases, volume decreases. This relationship is known as Charles's Law and is applicable to gases at a constant pressure.

3. How does volume expansion impact the accuracy of temperature measurements?

Volume expansion can impact the accuracy of temperature measurements, especially when using glass or other materials that are prone to thermal expansion. As the volume of the substance changes with temperature, so too does its density. This can result in incorrect temperature readings. To minimize this effect, scientists use materials with low coefficients of thermal expansion in their temperature measuring devices.

4. Can temperature change and volume expansion affect the behavior of liquids and solids?

Yes, temperature change and volume expansion can also affect the behavior of liquids and solids. The expansion or contraction of these substances can cause changes in their physical properties, such as density, viscosity, and specific heat. This can impact their ability to flow, dissolve, or undergo chemical reactions.

5. How is temperature change and volume expansion related to global climate change?

Temperature change and volume expansion are closely related to global climate change. As the Earth's average temperature increases, the volume of the oceans, which covers over 70% of the planet's surface, also expands. This can lead to sea level rise, which can have significant impacts on coastal communities and ecosystems. Additionally, changes in temperature can also affect the melting of ice caps and glaciers, further contributing to sea level rise.