Matlab Ising model: Anti-ferromagnet

In summary,The person is working on a MATLAB simulation of the 2D Ising model and would like to verify their code and results. They are not sure how to create the initial lattice in Matlab, and would also like to plot the matrix as a colour/greyscale grid.
Beer-monster
Hi

I'm working on a MATLAB simulation of the 2D Ising model, and would like to verify my code and its results. One thing I'd like to try and observe is the transition from anti-ferromagnet to ferromagnet, but I'm not sure how to create the initial lattice in Matlab. I've already made a (pseudo)random lattice of spins and one that starts as a ferromagnet.

In other words, how can I create a lattice with alternating elements (1s and -1s)?

Also, is there a way to plot or graph my matrix as a colour/greyscale grid, so that -1s are black and +1s are black say? Currently I've used a surface plot but have to rotate the 3D image to a plan view.

Physics news on Phys.org
As an additional point. I'd also like to calculate the thermal average of magnetisation and Energy [itex]<M>,<E>[/itex] as a function of temperature. I'm not quite sure how to do this with a Monte Carlo algorithm, without a partition function. Is the best way to run the alogrithm for different temperatures then average the results for each temperature?

Beer-monster said:
In other words, how can I create a lattice with alternating elements (1s and -1s)?

If I understand what you're asking for (a checkerboard pattern?)
Code:
Y = zeros(m,n) %make a mxn matrix of zeros

%now make checkerboard 1,-1
Y(1:2:end,1:2:end) = 1
Y(2:2:end,1:2:end) = -1
Y(1:2:end,2:2:end) = -1
Y(2:2:end,2:2:end) = 1

Also, is there a way to plot or graph my matrix as a colour/greyscale grid, so that -1s are black and +1s are black say? Currently I've used a surface plot but have to rotate the 3D image to a plan view.

try "doc imagesc"
you can call options to customize the colors, read up on it.

Thanks for the tip. That did the trick nicely. The simulation is showing the wrong behaviour but the graphs look good:biggrin:

Does anyone have any tips for debugging a code in matlab, I'm really not seeing my error at the moment.

Just follow the input/output chain backwards (pause ad display function can help with this).

1. What is the Ising model and how does it relate to anti-ferromagnetism?

The Ising model is a mathematical model used to study the behavior of magnetic systems, particularly in materials with discrete spins. It is named after physicist Ernst Ising, who first proposed the model in 1925. In the context of anti-ferromagnetism, the Ising model describes a system in which neighboring spins prefer to be aligned in opposite directions, resulting in a net zero magnetization.

2. How does Matlab simulate the Ising model for anti-ferromagnetism?

Matlab uses a Monte Carlo simulation approach to model the Ising model for anti-ferromagnetism. This involves randomly selecting spin configurations and evaluating their energy states, then accepting or rejecting them based on a probability distribution. This simulation is repeated multiple times to obtain an average behavior for the system.

3. What is the significance of the critical temperature in the Ising model for anti-ferromagnetism?

The critical temperature, also known as the Curie temperature, is the temperature at which a material transitions from a ferromagnetic or anti-ferromagnetic state to a paramagnetic state. In the context of the Ising model, it represents the point at which the system undergoes a phase transition and loses its net magnetization.

4. How does the lattice size and boundary conditions affect the Ising model for anti-ferromagnetism?

The lattice size refers to the number of spins in the system, and the boundary conditions refer to the constraints placed on the edges of the lattice. These parameters can greatly affect the behavior of the Ising model for anti-ferromagnetism, as they determine the number and arrangement of neighboring spins that a spin can interact with. Larger lattice sizes and periodic boundary conditions tend to produce more accurate results.

5. What are some applications of the Ising model for anti-ferromagnetism in real-world systems?

The Ising model has been used to study a wide range of systems, including ferromagnetic materials, liquid crystals, and neural networks. In the context of anti-ferromagnetism, it can be applied to study the behavior of antiferromagnetic materials, such as iron oxide or chromium oxide, which are used in data storage and magnetic recording devices. It can also be used to model the behavior of antiferromagnetic layers in multilayer systems, as well as in the study of phase transitions in condensed matter physics.