Coolant & Air Flow Rate: Finding the Car's Rates

In summary: but the air flow rate through the radiator core might not be the same as the air flow rate at the engine.
meLokesh
Does anyone have an idea about how to find the coolant flow rate in the car?? Any theoretical method..
And the volume flow rate of air through the radiator?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I read somewhere that..what someone usually does is that he divides the engine power in bhp by 3 & the result is coolant flow rate in L/min. e.g. 300 bhp engine would have 100 L/min of coolant flow rate...
but how to calculate the airflow through the radiator core at a given car speed...
suggest something please..i've got just few hours...

i mean, I'm not going to die:biggrin:.. i have to submit my calculations for the car cooling system within a couple of hours..:cry:

Attached is a graph that has the coolant heat flow rate divided by brake HP. I took the revs that make the most power (from dyno test) and got a value (0.95). It depends on the engine type as seen on the right corner.
Once you have the value place your engines brake Power (in KW) and compute the heat flow needed to remove (Q dot = value X power [KW]).
Now let's make a few assumptions:
The water temp entering the radiator : 100 degrees C.
The water temp exiting the radiator : 80 degrees C.

The delta= 20 C.

from the famous equation: Qdot=mDot X Cp X delta T

You can isolate the mdot and calculate it.
heat.png

The graph is from an auto engineering book.. I don't remember which one.

berko1 said:
Attached is a graph that has the coolant heat flow rate divided by brake HP. I took the revs that make the most power (from dyno test) and got a value (0.95). It depends on the engine type as seen on the right corner.
Once you have the value place your engines brake Power (in KW) and compute the heat flow needed to remove (Q dot = value X power [KW]).
Now let's make a few assumptions:
The water temp entering the radiator : 100 degrees C.
The water temp exiting the radiator : 80 degrees C.

The delta= 20 C.

from the famous equation: Qdot=mDot X Cp X delta T

You can isolate the mdot and calculate it.

heat.png

The graph is from an auto engineering book.. I don't remember which one.

where to get this graph for my engine??
& what about the air flow rate through the radiator..

This graph covers most cars. The paragraph written on the upper right side states what letter represents what type of engine.
Each engine type has a line or a range and according to your Engine Speed you derive the coolant heat flow/ brake power ratio.
Using this ratio- follow the instructions in my first reply and you can get a water flow rate.

What type of engine do you have and how much HP does it have? Do you know when it reaches its peak power (REVS) ?

About the air flow through the radiator, this is a pretty complex question because there are a lot of variables, from air temp, air speed, contact area, shapes and more..

To try to make things simple:
From my little experience i assumed that the water that enters the radiator is about 100 C and the water exiting is about 80 C. (delta T= 20). Next assumption was that all the heat lost from the water was dissipated to the air via convection (no conduction). Now just calculate the heat loss rate (Q dot) for the water, contact area with the air and the find the h (convection coefficient). With this h you can find the air speed. You will need some basic heat transfer knowledge , Reynolds, Nu, GrXPr and so on..

mine is an 796cc, 3 cylinder, 37 bhp (max at 5000 rpm) petrol engine.
and for the air flow speed..i could do what you suggested..probably using DittusBoelter Equation, but I wanted to calculate the radiator size needed for the engine cooling...so I need to know the air flow rate (i.e. volume flow rate) to calculate the contact area.

hmmm. What are you building? perhaps you can calculate the speed of your vehicle and determine the air velocity through that?

Then just calculate the size needed for sufficient heat transfer with all the values you know.
This will give you a good ground for an estimated size.

this is for the SUPRA FSAE car...
i know the avg. max speed the car going to be driven, but air speed through the radiator core will be different due to all the contact area & flow hindrances...wouldn't that matter in the calculations??
i m a little inexperienced:redface:..do you know how to get the revs that make most power?:confused:

That would matter but what you need is a close estimation, take all those things to consideration and get a close approximation. I think that getting a 100 percent accurate calculation is very difficult because of all these factors that constantly change and depend on lots of other constantly changing factors.

I got the max power revs from a dyno test. Maybe you can find a detailed spec sheet for your engine, usually its data that is pretty common.

berko1 said:
I got the max power revs from a dyno test. Maybe you can find a detailed spec sheet for your engine, usually its data that is pretty common.

I could not find the specsheet:cry:..& the dyno test here is a far possibility..any other way out?

1. What is coolant and why is it important for a car?

Coolant is a liquid substance that is used to regulate the temperature of a car's engine. It is important because it prevents the engine from overheating, which can cause damage and decrease the car's performance.

2. How does coolant flow through a car's engine?

Coolant flows through a series of hoses and passages within the engine, absorbing heat as it circulates. The hot coolant then travels through the radiator, where it is cooled before returning to the engine to repeat the cycle.

3. What factors affect the flow rate of coolant in a car?

The flow rate of coolant can be affected by several factors, including the type and condition of the coolant, the size and design of the engine, and the efficiency of the water pump.

4. How can I determine the flow rate of coolant in my car?

The flow rate of coolant can be determined by using a flow meter or by calculating the volume of coolant that flows through the system in a certain amount of time. This information can also be found in the car's manual or by consulting a mechanic.

5. What is the ideal air flow rate for a car's engine?

The ideal air flow rate for a car's engine depends on its size and design, as well as the type of driving conditions. Generally, a higher air flow rate is desired for better engine performance, but too much air flow can also cause issues such as decreased fuel efficiency and engine damage.