Maths in Computer Science?

In summary: This is where the connection to calculus comes in - set theory is a branch of mathematics that includes calculus. Relational calculus and algebra are used in database design and querying to manipulate and retrieve data in a mathematically rigorous way. Additionally, understanding logic and Boolean algebra is important for working with databases.
Tanarif
As a person learning calculus, I always get frustrated by considering the practical applications of it. In an interview Larry Ellison said this about relational database programming:

"Relational database technology was invented by a guy by the name of Ted Codd at IBM. It's based on relational algebra and relational calculus. It is a very mathematically rigorous form of data management that we can prove mathematically to be functionally complete."

Could someone possibly explain or direct me towards where I can find out precisely how databases can be linked to calculus/maths?

Any input is much appreciated.
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
He is referring to to a different kind of calculus than the field you're thinking of. Googling either of the terms you listed will find you a definition, which will go a long way towards describing their applications in CS. Beyond that, you won't be able to do much without a background in logic.

Number Nine said:
He is referring to to a different kind of calculus than the field you're thinking of. Googling either of the terms you listed will find you a definition, which will go a long way towards describing their applications in CS. Beyond that, you won't be able to do much without a background in logic.

Thanks, will do so. Just to quickly ask, do you refer to a specific study of logic, or just logic in a more general sense?

For computer science, you deal with a branch called Boolean Algebra. This study is VERY important because, without it, we wouldn't even have logic gates!

I don't know where you're at in your math/CS journey, so I'll leave you with the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_algebra_(logic )

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanarif said:
Thanks, will do so. Just to quickly ask, do you refer to a specific study of logic, or just logic in a more general sense?

Definitely the formal study of logic. Unfortunately, logic courses (beyond simple introductions) tend to be rare at most Universities.

Last edited:
Tanarif said:
As a person learning calculus, I always get frustrated by considering the practical applications of it. In an interview Larry Ellison said this about relational database programming:

"Relational database technology was invented by a guy by the name of Ted Codd at IBM. It's based on relational algebra and relational calculus. It is a very mathematically rigorous form of data management that we can prove mathematically to be functionally complete."

Could someone possibly explain or direct me towards where I can find out precisely how databases can be linked to calculus/maths?

Any input is much appreciated.
Thanks

Relational databases are based on relations in set theory. A relation is a subset of the Cartesian product of a collection of sets. You can define all relational database operations in terms of operations on set theoretic relations.

1. What is the role of maths in computer science?

Maths plays a crucial role in computer science as it provides the foundation for many algorithms and computational methods. It helps in solving complex problems and analyzing data efficiently.

2. What are some specific areas of computer science that heavily rely on maths?

Some areas of computer science that heavily rely on maths include machine learning, cryptography, data analysis, and computer graphics. These fields heavily rely on mathematical concepts such as linear algebra, statistics, and calculus.

3. How does maths help in developing efficient computer programs?

Maths helps in developing efficient computer programs by providing tools and techniques for problem-solving, data analysis, and optimization. It also helps in understanding and analyzing the complexity of algorithms, leading to the development of more efficient programs.

4. Do I need to be good at maths to pursue a career in computer science?

While having a strong foundation in maths can be helpful in pursuing a career in computer science, it is not a prerequisite. With dedication and practice, anyone can develop the necessary mathematical skills required for computer science.

5. Are there any resources or tools available to help with understanding the maths in computer science?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help with understanding the maths in computer science. Online tutorials, textbooks, and coding platforms often provide explanations and examples of how maths is used in computer science. Additionally, there are also various mathematical software and programming libraries that can assist with complex calculations and data analysis.