Summer Heat: Would You Like 105 F Instead?

In summary, yesterday was hot and muggy with oppressive humidity, and today is looking like it will be just as bad.
dlgoff said:
Thanks for moving my post to where it belongs Evo. The heat from being on my moms roof for three hours this afternoon taring and flashing a 30 foot strip got to me. Not to mention a painful sun-burn. :frown:
You chose the hottest day to do roof repairs? It's going back down into the low 60's (61 as high Sunday). What am I going to do with you?

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
You chose the hottest day to do roof repairs? It's going back down into the low 60's (61 as high Sunday). What am I going to do with you?
Tar is easier to work with when it's hot. I had to wait for yesterday but didn't think it was going to be that hot. My sun burn is feeling better after using a Aloe Vera lotion.

It's 90+ degrees here (in the shade) with oppressive humidity. The forecast is for ~90 again tomorrow, and even more humidity and afternoon T-storms (perhaps severe). We usually don't get these temperatures until August at least. With my breathing problems, I find it hard to walk my dog in this crap. Unfortunately, he is going through a spell of intestinal distress, so he needs more walks than normal.

Last edited:
Aye...it was 85ish at 9am here, lawn is already stunted, supposed to get mid 90s, not including heat index. This is more like August for us too, makes me wonder what August is going to be like? 110F+? Going to need to migrate north, perhaps above the Arctic circle...

Insanity said:
Aye...it was 85ish at 9am here, lawn is already stunted, supposed to get mid 90s, not including heat index. This is more like August for us too, makes me wonder what August is going to be like? 110F+? Going to need to migrate north, perhaps above the Arctic circle...
It could be tough. We hardly ever get anything resembling winter here, and the summer heat at the end of spring makes me fear for my garden. Even worse, the bugs that normally get killed off in the winter cold are out in force. Not good.

94 in the shade with high humidity. So glad I don't live in NYC or Philly! All that pavement will keep pumping out the heat back out into the evening hours.

turbo said:
94 in the shade with high humidity. So glad I don't live in NYC or Philly! All that pavement will keep pumping out the heat back out into the evening hours.

Humidity is low 33%, so not as bad as it could be. Reportedly its suppose to let up after tonight. Its never good when you get up in the morning and its already 80+ and the sun is just rising. One reason I want to build a proper hobbit hole.

It was over 100F in our back yard today, and it's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow.

My son said the temperature had dropped to 97 F at 5:30 pm.

Infrared on shaded concrete at 6:15 was 98.9f

humidity is only 47% but with this heat the indexed temp is 108ish.

Almost back to 90 again, today, but with brutal humidity. I don't know if we'll hit the mid-nineties like yesterday, but we're under the gun for T-storms this afternoon/evening. Not good, because this road is about the last place in the area to regain power, once it is out.

Mainly sunny and predicted high of 24 C (75 F) here today.

Just about 90 in the shade now (and still climbing) and the humidity is horrible. I have both AC units running and I can't manage to get the RH below 50%. In fact, it's going up again. This is a sticky day. We don't suffer through this stuff until August in normal years. It may be time to move to Canada - someplace in the far-northern reaches of Ontario or PQ.

Took Duke for a pee-walk, and I'm a ball of sweat. This weather is ridiculous!

What can you run on your generator(s) if you had too Turbo ?

Rhody...

It's 99F here. I think it's really brutal. I'm not sure though since I'm spending the day in the county library.

rhody said:
What can you run on your generator(s) if you had too Turbo ?

Rhody...
I can run one of the AC units and possibly the TV. It's a small generator (5.5 hp Honda), and I don't want to load it too heavily.

I might have to break down and buy and install a permanently hooked-up generator. Losing power on a day like this would be very uncomfortable, to say the least. I can have a hard time breathing on a good day, and days like this strain my limits.

Duke needs to get out and pee and get a bit of exercise, but I need to get back to the house pretty soon, so I can recover. Luckily, he likes to get back in the house after we have had a short walk so he can cool off, too. He is sacked-out on his bed now. He can tolerate the heat, but he'd rather be in a cool house.

turbo said:
I might have to break down and buy and install a permanently hooked-up generator. Losing power on a day like this would be very uncomfortable, to say the least.

Do it turbo. I've been working outside a lot in the up to 100°F days and wouldn't be able to survive if I didn't have an ac to come in to.

Rain came through and the temp has dropped 20 some degrees today, hopefully it remains that way at least through the night.

Yup, it was toasty today, 93deg in the shade. I measured 85deg in the chicken coop tonight. I wonder how they manage to stay cool with their down coats on. Made sure they had plenty of water to drink.

With the 4th July holiday right around the corner, and the prediction of high 90s today, I figured it is about time to drag out the air conditioner. I installed a window unit last night. Sure glad I did, it created a safe haven from this wave of high temps & humidity. :cool:

92 and climbing today, with enough humidity to make me gasp. Even Duke doesn't want to go outside for pee-walks - not fun. This front yard is usually teeming with birds, but they are all laying low. This is August weather in June.

Edit: Extreme out-lier August weather in June. It is very rare that we ever get 3 consecutive days in the mid-nineties in August. unheard of in June.

Last edited:
It was 105F yesterday in our backyard.

Today was approaching 100F but we had a severe thunderstorm rip through our area. We lost power at work and then at home. We saw a small branch perched on the power lines near our house. That's what knocked our power out.

We went out to eat a few miles from the house. On the way home, we saw a large tree on top of a car, and small bits of trees scattered on the various roads in our area.

11,000 people were without power.

108F today.

Thought about getting under the car to change my oil, but Ill put it off and do it early morning on the weekend when its cooler out.

Yesterday evening some buddies and I were talking about how nice it was (around midnight), we checked the temp and it was 95F. haha, holy crap when 95F feels nice.

Dang. The forecast for around here on Sunday is 105F. But it's not the first 100 degree day.

dlgoff said:
Dang. The forecast for around here on Sunday is 105F. But it's not the first 100 degree day.
Wow, you are a lot hotter than here and you're so close. We've only had a couple of days in the low 90's. It's cool outside right now. 65F tonight. Today's high was in the low 80's.

Evo said:
Wow, you are a lot hotter than here and you're so close. We've only had a couple of days in the low 90's. It's cool outside right now. 65F tonight. Today's high was in the low 80's.
Well now the forecast says 99 for Sunday.

Mostly cloudy and in the 80s already with very high humidity. Generally, in the aftermath of heavy T-storms (like yesterday) we end up with a drying trend. Not this time. The front page of the morning paper is plastered with details about the damage and flooding caused by the T-storms. They weren't that bad locally, but the garden got watered more than necessary.

90 today, in the shade. This is so uncharacteristic of Maine at this time of year. At least there is a little breeze, but it is not enough to give any relief. Duke wants to go out for a walk, but after a minute or so out there, his tongue is hanging out. He'd love to go visit our Mass neighbors and their dog and new pup, but it's too hot to let them run and play. Maybe if they set out another hose with a sprinkler. Moose (chocolate Lab puppy) would love that.

Here in Louisville it's currently 102. The high yesterday was 105 and will reach the same temp today. There doesn't seem to be any relief coming in the next few days.

dlgoff said:
Well now the forecast says 99 for Sunday.
I was looking at the forecast, you're always about 20% more humidity and 5 degrees hotter, not counting the humidity.

They are predicting 10 days of 100+ temps in St Louis...already smashed records two days in a row.

Dr Transport said:
They are predicting 10 days of 100+ temps in St Louis...already smashed records two days in a row.
I *hate* hot weather, supposed to get storms here tonight, then temps going back up. :frown:

105 yesterday and 103 today in upstate South Carolina. Both are records. Fortunately I didn't have to go anywhere except to the street to pick up the mail. We get temperatures like this, but usually not until August. Forecast is 103 again tomorrow, 100 Monday, and "only" 97 on Tuesday.

Lost power from the Friday night D.C. storm and just got it back at 3:30 am this morning - 29 hours with no power. Then, I had to spend 4 1/2 hours trying to get my wireless router back online. Glad to have the power back.

Thermometer behind my window shows 39 deg C (100 deg F). It always shows a little bit more than it is, but even if it is 36 only it is still way too much for my linking.