Is Bombarding Ir 193 with Alpha Particles to Create Au 197 Possible?

• Thread starter ssills541
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ir
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using alpha particles to create Au 197 by bombarding Ir 193. The idea is that the link provided can be used to determine the masses and tell whether the process is feasible. It is mentioned that Hg 201 could potentially be used as a pathway, but the low natural abundance of Hg 196 makes it difficult. The conversation also touches on the energy required for such a reaction and the abundance of certain isotopes. One person suggests using photoalpha reactions, but their knowledge on the subject is limited. Overall, it is a complex and expensive process, making it unlikely that anyone has attempted it yet.
ssills541
Is it possible to bombard Ir 193 with alpha particles to create Au 197? If it isn't why not? And if it is why has no one done it yet?

Physics news on Phys.org
ssills541 said:
Is it possible to bombard Ir 193 with alpha particles to create Au 197? If it isn't why not? And if it is why has no one done it yet?

use http://atom.kaeri.re.kr/ to sum the masses and tell us. Really, tell us!

I think there is a possible pathway from Hg 201.

@arivero: That link looks broken.

@ssills541: If you hit it with the right energy to reach a nuclear excitation... why not. Looks like very expensive alchemy, however. Iridium is about as expensive as gold (maybe even more), isotope separation costs, and the energy to accelerate alpha particles is not cheap as well.

It works for me, the link. Click in the image to go to the relevant mass range
http://atom.kaeri.re.kr/ton/nuc10.html and then click in the nucleus you want info about.

I think that the point is about exothermic or endothermic, not the monetary cost. Of course, the relative abundance of nuclei goes down with the mass, so similar mass have similar abundance at first order. The geology goes after, of course... in this sense, Hg seems cheaper than Iridium

Now it works for me, too. Probably just a temporary issue.

I think that the point is about exothermic or endothermic, not the monetary cost.
In both cases, you need a significant energy for the alpha particle to get a reasonable fusion rate. And even in that case, the nucleus might emit one or two neutrons, and you don't get the correct isotope. Therefore, a nuclear resonance of 197Au would be an interesting target.

Of course, the relative abundance of nuclei goes down with the mass, so similar mass have similar abundance at first order.
The individual isotopes have a strong influence on that as well. In general, neutron-rich nuclei are more frequent for heavy elements, as they have an easier way to get produced in supernovae. Mercury and platinum are good examples, where the stable isotopes with the lowest neutron numbers are quite rare.

arivero said:
use http://atom.kaeri.re.kr/ to sum the masses and tell us. Really, tell us!

I think there is a possible pathway from Hg 201.

You can bombard Hg-196 with neutrons, producing Hg-197 which then decays to Au-197. However, elemental mercury is uncommon to begin with and the natural abundance of Hg-196 is only 0.15%.

QuantumPion said:
You can bombard Hg-196 with neutrons, producing Hg-197 which then decays to Au-197. However, elemental mercury is uncommon to begin with and the natural abundance of Hg-196 is only 0.15%.

I was thinking simple excitation of Hg201, which has a good abundance, and should go alpha to Pt 197. Then, Pt 197 undergoes spontaneously beta to Au-197.

From the tables, it seems that the energy release in the alpha decay of Hg-201 could be enough to help to keep the reaction going, a sort of subcritical transmutation machine.

arivero said:
I was thinking simple excitation of Hg201, which has a good abundance, and should go alpha to Pt 197. Then, Pt 197 undergoes spontaneously beta to Au-197.

From the tables, it seems that the energy release in the alpha decay of Hg-201 could be enough to help to keep the reaction going, a sort of subcritical transmutation machine.

My knowledge of the subject of photoalpha reactions is limited, where can you find photonuclear cross sections for Hg?

QuantumPion said:
My knowledge of the subject of photoalpha reactions is limited, where can you find photonuclear cross sections for Hg?

Mine too... Let's hope some other will read the thread in the future :-)

1. Can Ir 193 be bombarded with alpha particles to create Au 197?

Yes, it is possible to bombard Ir 193 with alpha particles to create Au 197 through a process called nuclear transmutation. This involves changing the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom.

2. What is the purpose of bombarding Ir 193 with alpha particles to create Au 197?

The purpose of this process is to create a new element, Au 197, which may have various practical uses such as in medical imaging or as a catalyst in chemical reactions. It also helps scientists better understand the behavior of atoms and the structure of the periodic table.

3. How is the bombardment of Ir 193 with alpha particles achieved?

This process is typically achieved in a particle accelerator, where alpha particles are accelerated to high speeds and directed towards a target of Ir 193. The particles collide with the nucleus of Ir 193, causing it to undergo nuclear transmutation and produce Au 197.

4. Are there any risks or safety concerns associated with this process?

Yes, there are potential risks and safety concerns associated with any type of nuclear transmutation. The use of high-energy particles and the creation of new elements can produce radioactive byproducts, which must be carefully handled and disposed of to ensure the safety of researchers and the environment.

5. Has the bombardment of Ir 193 with alpha particles to create Au 197 been successfully performed?

Yes, this process has been successfully performed in laboratory settings. However, it is a complex and expensive process, and the resulting amounts of Au 197 produced may be very small. Therefore, it is not a practical method for large-scale production of Au 197 at this time.