Question about photoelectric effect equation

In summary: It's not incorrect to say that light quanta emit electrons, but it's incorrect to say that light quanta eject photons.
sandf
If I write photoelectric effect equation to nhv = 1/2mv2 + W with n = 1,
I am puzzled whether the n is larger than 1, such as 2 or 3, for which I will get the two- or three- photon absorption.
Could you give me some comments on these question?

Best regards.
sandf

Physics news on Phys.org
n represents the number of photons ejected from the metal. According to the frequency of the light wave & its intensity, we can obtain the no. of photons.

E=nhv

lawmaker said:
E=nhv
Dear lawmaker,
Thanks for your reply.
But I cannot understand what you mean.
In terms of your opinion, may I create the energy conservation equation
n1hv1 = 1/2mv2+W+n2hv2 ?

I understand the photoelectric effect that this phenomenon cannot occur when the energy of one photon is not large enough, i.e. hv < W. But I think nhv could be larger than W, i.e. nhv > W, thus the effect will occur.

What is wrong with my understanding?

Best regards.
sandf

The explanation of the photoelectric effect that Einstein proposed used the assumption that at most one photoelectron can be ejected from the source by a single photon. It implies n=1.
Therefore, you cannot use n>1 to calculate the energy of a single photoelectron.
The equation should look like this:

[itex]h\nu=E_k+W[/itex]

If you have a beam containing n quanta of light(photons) at sufficient frequency for Ek to be >0, then they'll eject n photoelectrons from the source.

[itex]nh\nu=n(E_k+W)[/itex]

Dear Bandersnatch,
Thanks for your help.
Bandersnatch said:
The explanation of the photoelectric effect that Einstein proposed used the assumption that at most one photoelectron can be ejected from the source by a single photon. [itex]nh\nu=n(E_k+W)[/itex]

Is it also assumed that only a single photon can be absorbed?
Otherwise, could I have the equation.
[itex]nh\nu=E_k+W[/itex], which also means the emisstion of a single photon.

Best
sandf

sandf said:
Is it also assumed that only a single photon can be absorbed?
Yes, that's what the quantified approach means. The beam is not a continuous wave, but a collection of discrete quanta(photons) that hit the electrons in the metal surface and eject them.
One photon hits one electron. If its energy is too low, the electron does not get ejected and the energy is wasted on heating up the bulk of the material instead.

Also, it's not
sandf said:
the emisstion of a single photon
but the emission of an electron by a photon. The electron is often called "photoelectron" in this context, but it's still just your regular electron.
Perhaps you got confused by lawmaker's post. There are no photons ejected. It's the photons that do the ejecting, so to speak. hv is the energy of the photon, while Ek can be only defined for a massive particle - here, the electron.

So your equation is wrong, as it presupposes multiple photons (n) pooling their energy(hv) to eject one electron. That's exactly contrary to what the whole shebang about light quanta was about.

Dear Bandersnatch,
Great thanks for your help.
Best regards.
sandf

1. What is the photoelectric effect equation?

The photoelectric effect equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the intensity of light, the frequency of light, and the kinetic energy of electrons emitted from a metal surface. It is written as E = hf - φ, where E is the kinetic energy of the electron, h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the incoming light, and φ is the work function of the metal.

2. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect equation?

The photoelectric effect equation is significant because it was one of the key pieces of evidence for the particle nature of light and the development of the quantum theory. It also has practical applications in areas such as solar panels and photocells.

3. How does the photoelectric effect equation relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The photoelectric effect equation is consistent with Einstein's theory of relativity, as it shows that the energy of the emitted electrons is dependent on the frequency of the incoming light, rather than its intensity. This supports Einstein's concept of the photon as a discrete packet of energy.

4. Can the photoelectric effect equation be used to explain other phenomena?

Yes, the photoelectric effect equation can also be used to explain the Compton effect, where photons collide with electrons and transfer some of their energy to them, resulting in a change in their wavelength. The equation can also be applied to explain the threshold frequency and stopping potential in the photoelectric effect.

5. Are there any limitations to the photoelectric effect equation?

While the photoelectric effect equation is a useful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of electrons in relation to light, it does have some limitations. For example, it does not take into account the wave-like behavior of light, and it cannot fully explain all aspects of the photoelectric effect, such as the time delay between the absorption of light and the emission of electrons.