Creating a formula from plot points

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in using Matlab 7.1 to derive a formula from a set of almost linear plot values. They are hoping for assistance in using the polyfit function to find the best fitting line for their data. Regression analysis and a good understanding of the underlying equation are important in this process.
Little_grim
Hallo all...

I have a couple of plot values that I am trying to derive a formula from. The points are almost linear but not quite...

Was hoping someone could shed some light on how to go about this...
I have Matlab 7.1, would like to use it if at all possible...

Any help would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Turning a plot into an equation is called regression analysis.
You have to start out with a good idea of what the underlying equation should be before you start.

If you only have two points, then you can only plot a line - I'm guessing you mean you have a couple of datasets that, when you graph them, make something that looks like it's trying to be a line.

The MATLAB function you want will be: polyfit
... you want to find the line y=mx+c that best fits the data.

What is the purpose of creating a formula from plot points?

The purpose of creating a formula from plot points is to identify patterns and relationships between different data points. This can help to predict future outcomes and make informed decisions based on the data.

What are the steps involved in creating a formula from plot points?

The steps involved in creating a formula from plot points include collecting and organizing the data, identifying the variables, determining the type of relationship between the variables, selecting a suitable mathematical model, and using the data to calculate the formula.

What types of mathematical models can be used to create a formula from plot points?

There are various mathematical models that can be used, such as linear regression, exponential regression, polynomial regression, and power regression. The choice of model depends on the type of relationship between the variables and the nature of the data.

How accurate is a formula created from plot points?

The accuracy of a formula created from plot points depends on the quality and quantity of the data, the chosen mathematical model, and any assumptions made. It is important to validate the formula and adjust it if necessary to improve its accuracy.

Can a formula created from plot points be used to make predictions?

Yes, a formula created from plot points can be used to make predictions by plugging in values for the variables. However, it is important to note that predictions are not always 100% accurate and should be interpreted with caution.