Kansas kids can marry. Say what?

• News
  • Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kids
In summary, Kansas kids can marry with parental consent. There are no laws on the books to prevent this. Girls need to be at least 12 years old and boy 14. More unbelievable was a case in some mid-western state last year where someone was charged for statutory rape for having sex with their 13 year old bridge. I dunno, people are nuts. The more I hear about what people do, the more I'm sure they're totally insane. Having sex with your bridge is totally legal. What is this world coming to??!?? I know what you mean. Having sex with your bridge is totally legal. What is this world coming to??!??
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Kansas kids can marry. Say what??

It seems like kansas is in the news again. There are no laws on the books to prevent (with parents consent) kids to marry. Girls need to be at least 12 years old and boy 14.

Can you believe it?

Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
It seems like kansas is in the news again. There are no laws on the books to prevent (with parents consent) kids to marry. Girls need to be at least 12 years old and boy 14.
Can you believe it?
More unbelievable was a case in some mid-western state last year where someone was charged for statutory rape for having sex with their 13 year old bridge.

I dunno, people are nuts. The more I hear about what people do, the more I'm sure they're totally insane.

This kansas states got to go. I say we all have a 2nd civil war. It will be the North/south/east/west vs. Kansas.

wasteofo2 said:
More unbelievable was a case in some mid-western state last year where someone was charged for statutory rape for having sex with their 13 year old bridge.
I dunno, people are nuts. The more I hear about what people do, the more I'm sure they're totally insane.
I know what you mean.

Having sex with your bridge is totally legal. What is this world coming to??!??

pattylou said:
I know what you mean.
Having sex with your bridge is totally legal. What is this world coming to??!??

Well new york is trying to ban people having sex with their homes...

Twelve and fourteen... that's kinda scary.

As a native Kansas, I got to stick up for my state here. We're not all that crazy. But, I have to admit, the case that wasteofo2 was talking about was when when 2 kids that were legally married in Kansas moved to another state (Nebraska I think) where their marriage wasn't legal. We have a lot of laws here left over from the days of the old west.

I can't imagine that would be allowable. Neither a 12 or 14 year can legally sign (validly that is) a binding contract. In fact, only people recognized as adults (usually 18 years of age and older) of sound mind can take part in a legal contract.

I would hope that such a marriage would not take place. I hope that such a couple would not be given a marriage license, and I would hope no parent would consent to such a marriage.

I would have people wait at least until they are 18 years of age before getting married, and preferably older.

oh, big whoop. I grew up in Alabama, and I already had two ex-husbands before I got out of the eighth grade. Got two nice trailers and a gun rack out of the settlements to boot!

You musta had a mighty fine lawyer

You just have to have your parents permission to get married first. Then it's nice and legal.

Astronuc said:
I can't imagine that would be allowable. Neither a 12 or 14 year can legally sign (validly that is) a binding contract. In fact, only people recognized as adults (usually 18 years of age and older) of sound mind can take part in a legal contract.
I would hope that such a marriage would not take place. I hope that such a couple would not be given a marriage license, and I would hope no parent would consent to such a marriage.
I would have people wait at least until they are 18 years of age before getting married, and preferably older.
Minors can legally contract okay but the contracts are unenforceable unless they are for 'necessaries'

Perhaps they can argue their marriage was a 'necessary'. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's normal. You have to remember that those laws were written many years ago, when it was acceptable for people to marry at that age.

Nobody would let children marry today, even though it's legal.

Math Is Hard said:
oh, big whoop. I grew up in Alabama, and I already had two ex-husbands before I got out of the eighth grade.
It's tough to lose a brother, so I hope that you're still on speaking terms with them.

Pengwuino said:
You musta had a mighty fine lawyer
As a matter of fact I think he was husband number three.

1. What is the minimum age for marriage in Kansas?

The minimum age for marriage in Kansas is currently 18 years old. However, there are exceptions that allow minors to marry with parental consent and court approval.

2. Can minors get married without parental consent in Kansas?

No, minors cannot get married without parental consent in Kansas. Parental consent is required for any individual under the age of 18 to marry.

3. Is there a waiting period before getting married in Kansas?

Yes, there is a three-day waiting period before getting married in Kansas. This waiting period can be waived by a court for certain circumstances.

4. Are same-sex marriages allowed in Kansas?

Yes, same-sex marriages have been legally recognized in Kansas since the Supreme Court ruling in 2015.

5. Are there any restrictions on who can marry in Kansas?

Yes, there are certain restrictions on who can marry in Kansas. For example, individuals cannot marry their close relatives, such as siblings, parents, or grandparents. Additionally, individuals who are already married cannot legally remarry in Kansas.