Average osmotic pressure of blood

In summary, isotonic solutions introduced into the bloodstream through injection must have the same osmotic pressure as blood. At 25C, the average osmotic pressure of blood is 7.7 atm. To find the molarity of an isotonic saline solution, we must consider the van't Hoff factor, which takes into account the dissociation of electrolytes like NaCl into multiple particles. The equation for osmosis can be converted to include the van't Hoff factor by multiplying the right hand side with the factor 'i', which is 2 for NaCl.
Jeann25
Aqueous solutions introduced into the bloodstream by injection must have the same osmotic pressure as blood; that is, they must be "isotonic" with blood. At 25C, the average osmotic pressure of blood is 7.7 atm. What is the molarity of an isotonic saline solution (NaCl in H2O)? Recall that NaCl is an electrolyte; assume complete conversion to Na and Cl ions.

The equation I have for osmosis is π=MRT (π=pressure, M=molarity, R=constant, T=temperature), but in the text it says this is for nonelectrolytes. I'm not sure where to go with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try looking into something called the van't Hoff factor.

The equation you gave can be converted to the osmosis equation for associating/dissociating solutes by multiplying the RHS with a factor 'i' (Also Called the Van't Hoff Factor)

So it becomes

Pi=iMRT

i is a factor defined as the number of particles after association/dissocation divided by the number of particles before it. One particle of NaCl Dissociates into two particles, The Sodium Ion and the Chloride Ion, so van't hoff factor for it is 2. replace i by 2 and proceed as usual.

1. What is the average osmotic pressure of blood?

The average osmotic pressure of blood is approximately 7.35 – 7.45 atmospheres, or 490 – 760 mmHg.

2. How is the osmotic pressure of blood measured?

The osmotic pressure of blood is typically measured through a process called osmometry, which measures the concentration of solutes in the blood. This can be done using a variety of methods, such as freezing point depression or vapor pressure.

3. What factors affect the osmotic pressure of blood?

The osmotic pressure of blood is primarily influenced by the concentration of electrolytes, such as sodium, potassium, and chloride ions. Other factors that can affect osmotic pressure include hormones, medications, and hydration levels.

4. Why is the osmotic pressure of blood important?

The osmotic pressure of blood is important for maintaining the proper balance of fluids in the body. It helps regulate the movement of water and nutrients between the blood and cells, and plays a crucial role in maintaining blood pressure and overall homeostasis.

5. How does osmotic pressure relate to diseases and conditions?

Abnormalities in osmotic pressure can be indicative of certain diseases and conditions, such as diabetes and kidney disease. High osmotic pressure can also contribute to the development of conditions like hypertension and edema.