Which Skin Should Be the Default? A Comparison of Prime and Nexus

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about choosing between two skins, Prime and Nexus. The functionality of both skins is identical, however, Prime is about 10-12% faster and has a sidebar on the main page. Some users prefer Prime because of its speed, while others prefer Nexus for its appearance. There is also a discussion about the possibility of removing the sidebar or making it optional. Some users suggest rearranging the items in the sidebar to make it more relevant to PF. Overall, opinions are divided on which skin should be the default. Some users also mention the previous design before the original Prime and the use of Flash in Nexus. There is

Which skin as Default

• Nexus

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Prime

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters
i agree with basically everyone else. don't like the sidebar, but prime is better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nexus. I liked the flash banner and the colors, it was appealing to my eyes and is one of the reasons why I came back to these forums for help instead of other ones ;). But I haven't used these forums for very long with Prime or Nexus, so I might change my mind.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, Firestrider. Getting the opinions of some relatively new folks about their first impressions coming to the forum with the current skin are quite helpful, since the rest of us don't need to be "hooked" anymore.

nexus looks a lot prettier :D

I don't like the sidebar either, but Prime is still better than Nexus. (Although the old default skin was better than both.)

Nexus...it's a bit slower but I like the look of it better so I'll wait a few extra seconds for my pages to load. ^_^

Drimar likes Primer because it fits well with Drimar's eyes. The chosen colors are eyecatching

Could site managers change the logo into some other ones, like a picture of Minie and Mickey learning sciences, or Simbie in science world, for example.

Bring them up please, they are famouse enough to be proud of..

It won't ruin your 'old, straight big men' site into kiddie site. Please don't worry because the content of posts is more mature than how it actually looks

The reserve case is 'hard to say' but easily well-explained if readers are 'look-and-feel'

Sorry I just think i like simbie

Last edited:
Yeah, me too, I like the image to be changed dynamically each time the browser reloads the page. Static reloading brings up boredom.

About simbie, true I also like it, it's like a story of my life :-D

Who is Simbie?

Nexus for me :shy:
*Prime is a bit "too bright"..on the eyes. If you could darken it up a bit...I'd try Prime. I don't pay much attention to logos/sidebars...just the appearance of any regular post//