What does the word pellucid mean?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary, the word of the day is "limpid." Today's word is pellucid, but it's not really a word, just a definition from a dictionary. There are no real definitions for Götterdämmerung or Gjelgje, just references to Wagner's opera and a song by a Finnish band. The OneLook Dictionary also has a definition for prkwqilmnnntte, a twig of brush used to point to stuff when teaching young zoobies to speak.
zoobyshoe
"Today's word is pellucid"

Onelook Dictionary is a site where you can search a slew of different dictionaries at once for a word by checking the "search all dictionaries" option.

http://www.onelook.com/Apparently that have a "word of the day" feature, and today's word is pellucid.

Quick definitions (pellucid)

# adjective: (of language) transparently clear; easily understandable (Example: "Pellucid prose")
# adjective: transmitting light; able to be seen through with clarity (Example: "A pellucid brook")
# Word origin info is available.*

*"transparent, translucent," 1619, from L. pellucidus "transparent," from pellucere "shine through," from per- "through" + lucere "to shine" (see light (n.)).

This latter feature, word origin info links you to the Online Etymology Dictionary which gives an interesting history of the word.
---
"Pellucid" is an ironic word: since it's not part of the average person's vocabulary, using it will make your meaning less pellucid.

Physics news on Phys.org
That was very pellucid!

A luculent explanation of an eldritch concept, forsooth

meteor said:
A luculent explanation of an eldritch concept, forsooth
Thanks, but it's neither luculent nor pellucid to me what an "eldritch concept" is.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary online. Yeah, I use this word a lot. :bugeye:

The Word of the Day for March 27 is:

Götterdämmerung • \gher-ter-DEM-uh-roong\ • noun
: a collapse (as of a society or regime) marked by catastrophic violence and disorder; broadly : downfall

Example sentence:
Although we all hoped for a peaceful transfer of power, we feared the conflict would instead end in a chaotic Götterdämmerung.

Norwegian word of the day: Gjelgje
Moveable pin above the fireplace with a hook screwed in (the "gjelgjekrok"), upon which a kettle/pot may be hung, and swung into position above the fire (i.e, so that the contents in the kettle may be heated).

Evo said:

: a collapse (as of a society or regime) marked by catastrophic violence and disorder; broadly : downfall

Example sentence:
Although we all hoped for a peaceful transfer of power, we feared the conflict would instead end in a chaotic Götterdämmerung.
Ah, but you missed the interesting etymology:

"Etymology: German, literally, twilight of the gods, from Götter (plural of Gott god) + Dämmerung twilight"

"The Twilight Of The Gods," Götterdämmerung is part of the famous "The Ring Of The Niebelungen" by Wagner, which was a large influence on Tolkien's "Lord Of The Rings."

That Webster's example is actually the first time I've ever seen Götterdämmerung applied outside that opera.

----------------------------------------

The OneLook's Word of the Day is :

Quick definitions (limpid)

# adjective: (of language) transparently clear; easily understandable (Example: "Writes in a limpid style")
# adjective: clear and bright (Example: "Limpid blue eyes")
# adjective: transmitting light; able to be seen through with clarity (Example: "Could see the sand on the bottom of the limpid pool")

It seems they're obsessed with clarity lately.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Moveable pin above the fireplace with a hook screwed in (the "gjelgjekrok"), upon which a kettle/pot may be hung, and swung into position above the fire (i.e, so that the contents in the kettle may be heated).
You could pretty much make them up and no one would be the wiser.

Evo said:

Example sentence:

Curiously, Götterdämmerung is the tittle of a song of Stratovarius, one of my favourite bands, though given that is a finnish band, i thought that it was a finnish word, not being accepted in the english parlance

zoobyshoe said:
You could pretty much make them up and no one would be the wiser.
It is NOT made up! :grumpy:

Neither is "klopp":
Trunk of tree laid over a river so that one may come dryshod over to the other side (unless one slips and falls into the river, that is).

Zoobie Word Of The Day:

prkwqilmnnntte n. twig of brush used to point to stuff when teaching young zoobies to speak

Zoobie is not a recognized language among civilized individuals.

arildno said:
Zoobie is not a recognized language among civilized individuals.
Not much by zoobies either.

I would like the pronounciation of that word if you please zooby.

zoobyshoe said:
Not much by zoobies either.

You should poke them with your prkwqilmnnntte, then.

jimmy p said:
I would like the pronounciation of that word if you please zooby.
Same way it's spelled, of course.

I'm intrigued as to how you pronounce 3 n's without sounding like a jerk. Every time I try it just sounds weird.

jimmy p said:
I'm intrigued as to how you pronounce 3 n's without sounding like a jerk. Every time I try it just sounds weird.
Put some effort into it, damn you!

arildno said:
Are you going into reruns already? I'm pretty sure that you used this one about a year ago when I first started hanging around here. Slackard! :grumpy:

It is my favourite Norwegian word.
Unfortunately, I've never been in a situation where I might use it naturally :cry:

Todays word is mirth
# noun: great merriment

Etymology: O.E. myrgð "joy, pleasure," from P.Gmc. *murgitha, noun of quality from *murgjo- (see merry).

I like this play on words:

Mirthquake "entertainment that excites convulsive laughter" first attested 1928, in ref. to Harold Lloyd movies.

1. What is the definition of the word "pellucid"?

The word "pellucid" means transparent or clear, allowing light to pass through easily.

2. How is the word "pellucid" used in a sentence?

He gazed out at the pellucid waters of the lake, marveling at the clarity and beauty of the water.

3. What is the origin of the word "pellucid"?

The word "pellucid" comes from the Latin word "pellucidus", which means "transparent" or "clear".

4. Can the word "pellucid" be used to describe something other than water?

Yes, the word "pellucid" can be used to describe anything that is transparent or clear, such as a crystal or a piece of glass.

5. Is there a difference between "pellucid" and "transparent"?

While both words can mean clear or allowing light to pass through, "pellucid" often implies a sense of beauty or purity, while "transparent" is a more general term. Additionally, "pellucid" can also mean easily understood or expressed in a clear manner.