Steve Yzerman Retires From Detroit Red Wings

• Thread starter FredGarvin
  • Start date
In summary, Steve Yzerman announced his retirement from the Detroit Red Wings. Stevie spent all 22 years of his career in Detroit, which is a rarity in any sport. Yzerman is an outstanding example of how to play professional sports and is probably the best representative of any professional sport. Yzerman's career is coming to an end and his retirement tour is short and sweet. Although I'm not a big Red Wings fan, I have always been a fan of Yzerman.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Not that any of you soccer hethens will care...

Steve Yzerman announced his retirement today from the Detroit Red Wings. Stevie spent all 22 years of his career in Detroit. That is unheard of in any sport. We all knew it was coming, but some hoped for one more year. I, personally, was hoping he would retire because he was just getting tired. Still, it's tough to see a legend retire.

Stevie is probably the best representative of any professional sport.

http://cdn.nhl.com/image-upload/yzerman_action_cu_194x250.jpg
yzerman1.jpg

http://www.detroitblog.org/images/stevie.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Yzerman
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Apk7LbZT9uev_RHA1JVVJWk5nYcB?slug=ap-redwings-yzerman&prov=ap&type=lgns

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
:rolleyes: I thought something terrible had happened...

Uhm, I mean, OH NO! This is terrible! :wink:

Mentor hethen.

FredGarvin said:
Mentor hethen.
One of the nicer things I've been called. :smile:

Beats making a fool of himself the way Unitas did.

Bystander said:
Beats making a fool of himself the way Unitas did.

The Favre agony just continues. Denial all around.

god, at first I thought he died!

Anyways, that is sad he is retiring. I used to love going to wing's games and watching him play.

FredGarvin said:

Steve Yzerman announced his retirement today from the Detroit Red Wings. Stevie spent all 22 years of his career in Detroit. That is unheard of in any sport. We all knew it was coming, but some hoped for one more year. I, personally, was hoping he would retire because he was just getting tired. Still, it's tough to see a legend retire.

Stevie is probably the best representative of any professional sport.
Wow! I thought by the title that someone must have died.

Yzerman has had an impressive career and I think he is an outstanding example as a sportsman.

Mentor hethen.
That's heathen. And no she's not - she's too sweet and nice to be considered a heathen. I should know. :biggrin:

This sucks ... :cry: . A great career comes to an end, would've hoped he could've been lured into complete one another season, which might have ended his career more proper. Instant all-star.

PerennialII said:
This sucks ... :cry: . A great career comes to an end, would've hoped he could've been lured into complete one another season, which might have ended his career more proper. Instant all-star.
I'm not sure if I would have liked to have seen an Yzerman retirement tour the likes Lemieux had. This way is short and sweet and seems to match his personality when it comes to things like this.

FredGarvin said:
Stevie is probably the best representative of any professional... sport.
http://cdn.nhl.com/image-upload/yzerman_action_cu_194x250.jpg
Indeed he is!

Last edited by a moderator:
FredGarvin said:

Some of us soccer heathens watch hockey too.

This is a good way to go out. The 2001/02 finals will always stand out for me, on one leg he was still the best guy on the ice. Extremely classy guy.

FredGarvin said:
I'm not sure if I would have liked to have seen an Yzerman retirement tour the likes Lemieux had. This way is short and sweet and seems to match his personality when it comes to things like this.

Yeah, he had lots of problems and taking the Lemieux way out would be far worse than retiring now. Hope they can find him something visible to do in the Wings organization.

I have never been a big Red Wings fan (Go Leafs!), but I have always been a huge fan of Steve Yzerman.

What prompted Steve Yzerman to retire from the Detroit Red Wings?

Steve Yzerman retired from the Detroit Red Wings in 2006 due to lingering knee injuries and a desire to spend more time with his family. He had been with the team for 22 seasons and felt it was time to step away from the game.

How did Steve Yzerman's retirement impact the Detroit Red Wings?

Steve Yzerman's retirement had a huge impact on the Detroit Red Wings. He had been the team's captain for 20 seasons and was a key player in their three Stanley Cup wins. His leadership and skills on the ice were greatly missed after his retirement.

What was Steve Yzerman's legacy with the Detroit Red Wings?

Steve Yzerman's legacy with the Detroit Red Wings is one of the greatest in the team's history. He was a 10-time NHL All-Star, won the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1998, and was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2009. He also holds the record for most games played and most points scored by a Red Wings player.

Did Steve Yzerman continue to be involved in hockey after his retirement?

Yes, after his retirement, Steve Yzerman continued to be involved in hockey. He served as the vice president and alternate governor of the Red Wings from 2006 to 2010. He then became the general manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2010 and helped lead them to a Stanley Cup win in 2020.

Did Steve Yzerman's retirement have any impact on the NHL as a whole?

Steve Yzerman's retirement had a significant impact on the NHL. He was not only a highly accomplished player, but also a respected leader and role model for other players. His retirement marked the end of an era for the Red Wings and the league as a whole, and many considered him the last of the "old school" players who played with grit and determination.

Back