Trajectory of charged particles in a uniform magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the trajectories of an electron and a proton injected into a uniform magnetic field with the same kinetic energy. The reasoning provided shows that the radius of curvature for the electron will be smaller than the proton, resulting in a more curved path. The book answer may have meant the radius of curvature, leading to the answer of the electron trajectory being less curved than the proton trajectory.
Amith2006
1) An electron and a proton are injected into a uniform magnetic field at right angles to the direction of the field with the same Kinetic Energy. Then:
a)the electron trajectory will be less curved than the proton trajectory
b)the proton trajectory will be less curved than the electron trajectory
c)both the trajectories will be equally curved
d)both the trajectories will be straight

My reasoning is as follows:
Let –e be the charge of electron, +e be the charge of proton and B be the uniform magnetic field. Let mass of proton be Mp and mass of electron be Me. Let v1 and v2 be the velocity of electron and proton respectively.
We know that Mp > Me
We know that a charged particle describes a circular path in a perpendicular magnetic field.
So, Bqv = (mv^2)/r
r = (mv^2)/(Bqv)
= {(1/2)mv^2}/{(1/2)Bqv}
Since kinetic energy, magnetic field and charge are same for electron and proton,
r proportional to 1/v
Now, K.E of electron = K.E of proton
(1/2)(Me)(v1^2) = (1/2)(Mp)(v2^2)
(v1/v2)^2 = Mp/Me
Since Mp > Me, v1>v2
Now, r1/r2 = v2/v1
Since v2<v1, r1<r2
So, radius of circular path of electron is less than radius of circular path of proton. So the electron path is more curved that proton path because curvature is the reciprocal of radius of curvature. But the book answer is a)the electron trajectory will be less curved than the proton trajectory. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can find nothing wrong with what you did.

Your book once again seems to be wrong. I still think it's high time you got a better book.

I will agree with siddharth, the answer you gave is correct; as I have said before, your text does not give one the utmost confidence when it is riddled with simple errors.

I think the book answer meant the radius of curvature. Thanks for the assistance.

Last edited:

1. What is a uniform magnetic field?

A uniform magnetic field refers to a region in space where the magnetic field strength and direction are constant. This means that a charged particle will experience the same force and follow a consistent trajectory as it moves through this region.

2. How do charged particles behave in a uniform magnetic field?

In a uniform magnetic field, charged particles will follow a curved path known as a helix. The direction of the helix and the radius of the curvature depend on the charge, mass, and velocity of the particle, as well as the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the equation for the trajectory of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field?

The equation for the trajectory of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field is known as the Lorentz force equation. It is given by F = qvBsinθ, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

4. How does the velocity of a charged particle affect its trajectory in a uniform magnetic field?

The velocity of a charged particle determines the radius of curvature of its trajectory. A higher velocity will result in a larger radius of curvature, while a lower velocity will result in a smaller radius of curvature. Additionally, if the particle's velocity is parallel to the magnetic field, it will not experience any force and will continue to move in a straight line.

5. What are some real-life applications of the trajectory of charged particles in a uniform magnetic field?

The trajectory of charged particles in a uniform magnetic field has many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It is also used in space exploration to study the behavior of charged particles in the Earth's magnetic field.