Mechanical Engineering: What Happens Behind the Scenes?

• Thread starter garagegraphyx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanical
Robotics, Thermodynamics, Fluid mechanics, and more.In summary, mechanical engineering is a diverse field with various job opportunities, including designing air conditioning systems, selling machine tools, and working in machine design, robotics, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics. There is no specific comparison to mechatronics as the roles and responsibilities can vary greatly depending on the job.
garagegraphyx
Mechanical Engineers AHOY!

Im taking mechanical engineering as my undergrad degree course. I will start to do first year this year. Well, i know everything about what's inside the brochure...

I just need some explanation about what goes on behind the scenes. From what i found out from mechanical engineers who are actually working out there in the big big world, they had to prepare espressos for their bosses before doing what they had intended to do...mechanical engineering.

My uncle who has a business qualification and is working in an engineering firm does engineering job...

What actually happens out there?
Can anyone tell me the nature of the job? (can it be compared with mechatronics?)

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mechanical engineering is a very broad field and as such, the types of jobs are also very broad. I design air conditioning systems for buildings. One of the jobs I applied for was selling machine tools (glad I didn't get that one).

It also include Machine design

1. What is a mechanical engineer?

A mechanical engineer is a professional who uses principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to design, develop, and manufacture mechanical systems. They work on a wide range of projects, from small individual components to large-scale structures.

2. What skills do mechanical engineers need?

Mechanical engineers need a strong background in mathematics, physics, and materials science. They also need to be proficient in computer-aided design (CAD) software, have strong problem-solving abilities, and be able to work well in a team.

3. What industries do mechanical engineers work in?

Mechanical engineers work in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, energy, manufacturing, and construction. They are involved in the design, development, and production of a wide range of products, from cars and airplanes to power plants and medical devices.

4. What are some common job titles for mechanical engineers?

Some common job titles for mechanical engineers include design engineer, project engineer, research and development engineer, and quality control engineer. They may also specialize in areas such as robotics, thermodynamics, or fluid mechanics.

5. What are the job prospects for mechanical engineers?

The job prospects for mechanical engineers are good, with a projected job growth of 4% from 2019-2029. This is due to the increasing demand for new and improved products across various industries, as well as the need for sustainable and energy-efficient solutions. Mechanical engineers can also advance into managerial roles or pursue further education to specialize in a specific area.