Cascading Multiplexers: A Tutorial

• Thread starter JasonJo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tutorial
In summary, cascading MUX's involves connecting the output of several MUX's to the input of another one in order to create a larger MUX with more selection bits. Leading manufacturers' websites often have tutorials on this topic, such as the Lucent link provided by JasonJo for digital circuit multiplexers.
JasonJo
how do you cascade MUX's??

Engineering news on Phys.org
SDH MUXs? The websites of leading manufacturers should give you steer; many had pretty good tutorials on this kind of thing last time I looked. Here's a Lucent link from which you may start:
http://www.lucent.com/products/solution/0,,CTID+2018-STID+10477-SOID+669-LOCL+1,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
i mean digital circuit multiplexers

Originally posted by JasonJo
how do you cascade MUX's??

usually just connect the output of several MUXs to the input of another one. You get a bigger MUX (bigger I mean with more selection bits). But of course it finally depends on what are you trying to build...

1. What is a cascading multiplexer?

A cascading multiplexer is a digital logic circuit that combines multiple input signals into a single output signal. It is commonly used in digital systems to select and route data from multiple sources to a single destination.

2. How does a cascading multiplexer work?

A cascading multiplexer works by using select lines to choose which input signal will be passed through to the output. The select lines act as control signals, allowing the multiplexer to select and route different input signals to the output based on the desired output configuration.

3. What are the advantages of using cascading multiplexers?

One advantage of using cascading multiplexers is that they can reduce the amount of wiring and space needed in a digital system. They also provide a cost-effective solution for selecting and routing multiple input signals to a single output. Additionally, cascading multiplexers can improve system performance by reducing signal delay and improving signal integrity.

4. What are some common applications of cascading multiplexers?

Cascading multiplexers are commonly used in digital systems, such as communication systems, data processing systems, and control systems. They can also be found in various consumer electronics, such as smartphones, computers, and TVs.

5. How do I choose the right cascading multiplexer for my application?

When choosing a cascading multiplexer, it is important to consider factors such as the number of inputs and outputs needed, the speed and frequency of the signals, and the voltage levels. It is also important to ensure compatibility with other components in the system and to select a reliable and reputable brand.