Wind power generation help please

In summary, if you want to generate a certain amount of power using a wind turbine, the swept area (of the rotor) needs to be at least twice the size of the power generator.
The Guv.
Ok, doing a project at the moment and this is one of the issues I have to overcome;

Exercise: Electricity Generation

Investigate the use of wind generation. The unit provided has a rotor diameter of 3m and an electrical output of 500W at a wind speed of 10.0m/s.

The power output of a wind generator is proportional to the cube of the wind speed.

Instead of relying on one wind generator, calculate the necessary rotor diameter if two smaller wind generators were to be used to provide the same total output.

The information I have researched is as follows:

A typical turbine with a 600 kW electrical generator will typically have a rotor diameter of some 44 metres (144 ft.). If you double the rotor diameter, you get an area which is four times larger (two squared). This means that you also get four times as much power output from the rotor.

Source: http://www.windpower.org/en/tour/wtrb/size.htm

If this is the case then a 88m diameter rotor should generate 2400kW? But the below diagram from the same page shows a 80m diameter rotor generates 2500kW!

http://www.windpower.org/res/rotorsk.gif

When I put this data into a graph I end up with a curve rather than a straight uniformed line?

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1328/powergraphmi7.jpg

Can anyone help me understand what I am doing wrong and guide me through what I am meant to be doing?

I'm not doing physics or maths I am doing Arch & Construction Management.

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh and I don't want the answer to the given question I want the formulas involved in understanding the relationship between swept area and power generation.

Just read the sticky and I think think I need to put it in the homework bit do i?

You can use the statement ... "If you double the rotor diameter, you get an area which is four times larger (two squared)." This comes from the fact that the swept area is in the same ratio as the power produced due to the amount (volume per second) of air that flows through the turbine blades (if the airflow is kept constant) we have that

[tex]P \propto A[/tex]

where A is the swept area and P is the power produced. Which in the case of the problem boils down to

[tex]\frac{d_x ^2}{250} = \frac{d_{500} ^2}{500}[/tex]

The volume of air that flows throught the turbine per second will be

[tex]Av[/tex]

where [tex]v[/tex] is the wind speed. A turbine converts (a fraction of) the kinetic energy of the air that flows through it to electrical energy. Which means that the power output will be (somewhat) directly proportional to this product. The reason why this will be only approximately true is that the turbine is more effective at some wind speeds due to the blade construction and orientation.

Last edited:
Thanks, this helped a lot with my calculations!

1. What is wind power generation?

Wind power generation is the process of converting wind energy into electrical energy. This is typically done through the use of wind turbines, which capture the kinetic energy of the wind and convert it into electricity.

2. How does wind power generation work?

Wind power generation works by using wind turbines to capture the energy of the wind and convert it into electricity. The blades of the turbine are designed to spin when wind passes over them, which then turns a rotor connected to a shaft. The rotation of the shaft generates electricity through a generator, which is then sent to the power grid.

3. What are the benefits of wind power generation?

Wind power generation has several benefits, including being a renewable and clean source of energy, reducing dependence on fossil fuels, and helping to combat climate change. It also has low operating costs and can provide economic benefits to local communities through job creation and revenue from wind farms.

4. What are the limitations of wind power generation?

One of the main limitations of wind power generation is its variability. Wind is not a constant source of energy, and therefore, wind power can fluctuate and may not always be available when needed. Wind turbines also have a visual and noise impact, and there may be concerns about their effect on wildlife and the environment.

5. How does wind power generation compare to other forms of renewable energy?

Wind power generation is one of the most established and widely used forms of renewable energy, along with solar and hydro power. Compared to other forms, wind power has a lower cost of production and typically has a higher capacity factor, meaning it can generate more electricity over time. However, its variability and potential environmental impacts should also be considered when comparing it to other renewable energy sources.