Dative bond confusion (or coordinate bond)

In summary, complexes are formed when a metal ion is hydrated with a ligand. The metal ion will form a difinitive shape based on the number of ligands present.
dilan
I am a little confused with this. I know what a dative bond is, but the problem is when it comes to complex ions I do not understand.

ok now for example

[tex]NH_3[/tex] + [tex]H^+[/tex] = [tex]NH_4^+[/tex]

So in this the lone pair of NH3 will fill the s- subshell of H and make it stable,

but say in [tex]Cu^2^+[/tex]
when this attracts six water molecules with six lone pairs, where do these lone pairs go? I mean what subshell does it fill?I really appreciate if you can help me with this.
Thanks alot

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
they are dumped into the LUMO.

They go into a higher energy orbital.

Its more advanced than it seems though, The different shells actually sort of combine in a way called hybridisation, these shells form a difinitive shape. The lone pairs partially go into these hybridisation shells.

i think someone else could probably describe it more correctly. I'm not too confidant on the subject myself.

When cu2+ is hydrated, the lone pairs of electrons present on the oxygen atom of water are 'donated' to the d-orbital of the copper 2+ ion. This is why copper can form complexes (thats what the species is called).

This species has a certain structure which depends on the type of ligand attacking (in this case water), the number of bonds formed, and where the lone pairs go. Here, the orbitals undergo dsp^3 hybridisation (that basically means the number of lone pairs present in the respective orbital: in this case, 1 in 3d, 1 in 4s, and 3 in 4p) to give the species trigonal bipyramidal geometry (a triangle with two bonds perpendicular to the plane sticking out of the center).

Look up werner's theory/ability of d-block metals to form complexes if you want more detail.

Another example of a complex is Tollen's reagent [Ag(NH3)4]+ which gives your famous silver mirror test for aldehydes.

If the copper is hydrated with 6 molecules of water, it cannot adopt a trigonal bipyramid structure. Only 5 ligands are required for a trigonalbipyramid...

1. What is a dative bond?

A dative bond, also known as a coordinate bond, is a type of covalent bond in which both electrons are donated by one atom. This results in the formation of a bond between two atoms in which one atom supplies both electrons to the bond.

2. How is a dative bond different from a regular covalent bond?

In a regular covalent bond, both atoms contribute one electron to form the bond. In a dative bond, one atom donates both electrons to form the bond. This results in a slightly different distribution of electron density between the two atoms.

3. What causes confusion about dative bonds?

Dative bonds are often confused with ionic bonds because they involve one atom donating both electrons. However, in an ionic bond, the donating atom is typically a metal and the receiving atom is a nonmetal, while in a dative bond, both atoms are typically nonmetals.

4. How are dative bonds represented in chemical structures?

In chemical structures, dative bonds are usually shown with an arrow pointing from the donating atom to the receiving atom, and the donating atom is often labeled with a "+" sign to show that it has donated its electrons.

5. What are some examples of molecules with dative bonds?

Some examples of molecules with dative bonds include carbon monoxide (CO), ammonia borane (NH3BH3), and sulfur hexafluoride (SF6). In these molecules, the atoms with the higher electronegativity (oxygen, nitrogen, and fluorine, respectively) donate their electrons to the atom with the lower electronegativity (carbon, boron, and sulfur, respectively).