Calculating Helium Balloon Volume for 500 kg Payload

In summary, the helium-filled balloon will not be able to lift the 500 kg payload if it is at ground level with the air density at .0625 lbs/cubic foot. The balloon will be able to lift the payload if it is at an altitude where the air density is .0625 lbs/cubic foot.
nsw
I can't seem to figure this simple helium balloon problem out? I would really appreciate some help? Thanks!

Estimate the volume of a helium-filled balloon at STP if it is to lift a payload of 500 kg. The density of air is 1.29 kg/cubic meter and helium has a density of .178 kg/cubic meter.

I think you use a formula like force bouyancy equals density of air times volume times gravity? but not quite sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
let V : Volume
a= density of air
b= density of He

we have

Code:
 V*a=500*10[sup]3[/sup]+V*b

How are you supposed to solve this equation with two unknowns?

only V is unknown

How do you solve

V(1.29)= 500000+V(0.178)

and is this really your answer?

Originally posted by nsw
How do you solve

V(1.29)= 500000+V(0.178)

and is this really your answer?

sorry the units of density are in Kg/m^3 so the equation will be

(1.29-0.178)V=500

V=450 m3

Where does the 500 come from?

isn't it the weight of the payload

Oh Yah! Thanks a Bunch!

New problem

The values:
Balloon diameter : 100 feet
Balloon weight : 10,000 pounds
Payload weight : 6,000 pounds
Lifting gas : Helium
Air density at ground level : .0625 lbs/cubic foot
Temperature is constant

At what altitude does the balloon fly?

So far I've got:
h = alpha [0.862 - (16,000 lbs/ mass of air)]

I'm not even sure what the variables are, I was given 47 different formulas to determine the answer to this question, none of which are helping whatsoever.

Last edited:
footos66 said:
The values:
Balloon diameter : 100 feet
Balloon weight : 10,000 pounds
Payload weight : 6,000 pounds
Lifting gas : Helium
Air density at ground level : .0625 lbs/cubic foot
Temperature is constant

At what altitude does the balloon fly?

So far I've got:
h = alpha [0.862 - (16,000 lbs/ mass of air)]

I'm not even sure what the variables are, I was given 47 different formulas to determine the answer to this question, none of which are helping whatsoever.
use bouyancy formula.

Which is:

mass of air (at Height, h) = [mass of payload+mass of balloon+mass of lifting gas]

is that the right one?

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a helium balloon for a 500 kg payload?

The formula for calculating the volume of a helium balloon for a 500 kg payload is V = (m_payload + m_helium) / (density_air - density_helium), where V is the volume, m_payload is the mass of the payload, m_helium is the mass of the helium, density_air is the density of air, and density_helium is the density of helium.

What units should be used for the mass and density values in the formula?

The mass values should be in kilograms (kg) and the density values should be in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3).

How do I determine the mass of the helium needed for a 500 kg payload?

To determine the mass of the helium needed for a 500 kg payload, you can use the formula m_helium = (V * (density_air - density_helium)) - m_payload, where m_helium is the mass of helium, V is the volume of the balloon, density_air is the density of air, and density_helium is the density of helium.

What are the standard values for air and helium densities?

The standard density of air at sea level and room temperature is approximately 1.2 kg/m^3. The density of helium is approximately 0.1785 kg/m^3.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated volume?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated volume include changes in pressure, temperature, and altitude. The actual density of air and helium may also vary depending on these factors. Additionally, the shape and material of the balloon can also impact the volume calculation.